The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so some background first:
-I own 3,400+/- acres in Alaska(North Centeral area)
-I own cattle, horses, pigs, elk, yak and bison
-The goats will be seperated with a 'buck herd' (including some meat wethers) and a 'doe herd' (including some wethers). Each group will have a 20 acre parcel fenced in 4 sections of 5 acres (each will have heated sheds etc). Land is good & has been approved by myself and other farmers as exceptional land for the goats.

What I'm looking to get out of set goats:
- companions for orphaned foals/cows etc
- milk, planning on selling some 'milk shares'
- fiber,- this is the most essential-, Want a fiber I can spin with that's nice
- meat, looking to raise about 15-20 wethers a year for the purpose of selling for meat only

I'm willing to do multiple breeds. (Not over 3 though) and all will be registered breeds so I'm not going to cross breed anything. I'm willing to have a meat breed and a milk breed and a fiber breed, though I'd prefer two breeds (fiber and meat) rather then three. So what are the best fiber goats? And what are the best meat goats?

Please consider that I live in alaska. Medium- large goats only, I've heard horror stories of miniature goats or dwarfs freezing to death in the snow. Thank you!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
For milk I would say LaMancha. For fiber, either cashmere or Angora, for meat Boer, Kiko, or Spanish. Do your research and see which ones fit what you want to do.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have cashmeres and with mine I get gorgeous fiber, I milk them an I eat them and get really nice carcasses from them. They are a great all around breed. The milk tastes yummy too. I highly recommend cashmeres.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would definitely say Cashmere for the fiber, have heard Angora's aren't as hardy...

As to meat, I agree Boer, Kiko, or Spanish.

Milk it just depends on how much you want. Anything can be milked...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah anything can be milked .... for hardiness, meat.... Kikos for sure....
not sure about such field conditions and the average milk goat (am thinking frozen udders.... horrors.... are you building a barn for the dairy goats?)....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Please consider that he's in Alaska. And the climate, circumstances may bear on the feedstock he can plant. Should that influence his choice of breed:whatgoat:?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts