Which harness looks most promising?

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Gear' started by Deborah Haney, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    My plans to make a harness haven't been working out, something always fits wrong and I can't seem to get it right so I'm tonight buy a harness. I would like other people's opinions about the harnesses available for sale. These are the two I'm considering: the etsy one and the llama products one.
    They're roughly the same price, Max is a 55-60 pound Nigerian Dwarf wether; what do you guys think?

2. Deborah Haney

Jul 11, 2017

3. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    I like the first one better but I'm not an expert!

4. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    It's really hard to say from those photos. The one from Llama Products has only 2 1/2 stars, but without written reviews about why it's hard to make a judgement. With a photo that small it's impossible to critique the design. It's also modeled on a full-sized goat, so how can you know how it fits a Nigie?

The Etsy one, on the other hand, isn't modeled on a goat at all, so we really can't see how it fits. It looks like it uses rein snaps to hook the traces to the breastcollar. For traces I prefer to see them buckle in, sewn in, or at least use different style snap with heavier load-bearing capabilities. It also looks as though the traces may be sewn into the saddle. If that's the case, I would personally skip it. The terret rings on the saddle (the rings the reins go through) are facing the wrong way and will prevent your reins from sliding smoothly.

But keep in mind that I am critiquing these from the standpoint of someone who often gets in my cart and drives my goats, so mine are pulling quite a bit of weight on a regular basis. If you're just fooling around with occasional small loads, I'm sure either of these harnesses would work just fine.

5. Deborah Haney

Jul 11, 2017
    I see what you're saying, @Damfino , about the terret rings. I can't tell how the traces are attached to the breastcollar and saddle but I can request a custom order to remedy these things. I don't plan on Max ever pulling more than 100 pounds given his size, not to mention the max load for the wagon. Max is still young (16 months) so we'll just be practicing commands and getting used to having the harness on and the cart behind him. I've got at least a few months before even attaching Max to the cart and I'm not going to add weight to the cart until he's 2. I can always return it if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the responses!

GoofyGoat likes this.