Which milk filter do you use?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I've searched and can't really find a good answer to my question. Very specifically... which milk filter do you use? Do they work well or drain slow or clog?

I have been using the Schwartz Filter-Clean inline milk filters (4 9/16") from Hoeggers. I really like them but there are some out there that are cheaper and I'm wondering if they would work just as well? Jeffers sells some cheaper... anyone use them, do they work well?

Any specific brands you found that DON'T work?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is this for hand milking or machine milking?

I milk by hand and use the filter disks from tractor supply, they are a cloth like paper and are very fast flow...especially if they are run under warm water first.....catch everything and anything that shouldn't be in the milk jug.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey Cinder, How are things going with your babies? I bet they are getting dig.

4. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I hand milk. I do use the paper ones also but I'm specifically wondering about brands. Are some better with the milk flow than others?

Lori - Hi ya! They are doing fantastic and keeping us laughing with their typical kid antics. It's going to be hard to sell them but we need the money more than I need other goats right now. Although I do want a doe from this girl (she's got a superb genetic/milking line - she'd be a four star milker if she'd actually been tested), she's only three so I should have a few years to get a doeling to keep from her. (Hope those aren't famous last words!)

5. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I hand milk also, after milking my does, I pour the milk through a coffee filter (one of the reusable ones) and a canning wide mouth funnel (for canning) and pour the milk into clean gallon glass jars (old pickle jars)

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The brand I use is in an orange and white box with black lettering.... KenAg 6 1/2 inch disks, they work very well and flow very fast...the filter never "fills" up it's flowing as you pour.

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

This is what I do also. I hate the thought of throwing away so much waste, not to mention the added cost of yet another thing to buy over and over again.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With these filters being "clothlike" I wash them in diluted bleach water rinse and air dry.....get quite a few uses from them....and I've done it this way for years with no ill effects :greengrin:

9. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    liz said:
    That is something that I've never thought of. Great idea... more work but a big money saver.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I rinse under unning water and then soak in a solution of 1 tsp bleach to 2 cups hot water....rinse after letting soak for 1/2 hour. I get about 3-5 milkings from each filter.

11. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I use the paper ones from Hoegger's and I also can get them from Lehman's Hardware since we live really close to Lehman's Hardware.