The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
I agree. Manna Pro is a great mineral. Golden Blend is also a good mineral. NEVER give your goats Purina. It doesn't have enough copper and it's 50% salt!

·
3,693 Posts
Yes Purina is bad. It is more salt than anything. Goats need minerals with a high copper or selenium count. Purina doesn't have that. Sweet fees is not good for goats either. It has too much molasses in it. Goats CANNOT have much molasses. I would recommend ADM meat goat feed. It is mixed with ingriedents goats can have and it doesn't have much molasses in it.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Depending on your area and availability, Manna Pro is a good one if you have a small herd of 4 or less, it only comes in a 8lb bag.
I use Cargill Right Now Onyx by Nutrena and have a local mill order it in for me, 50lbs lasts longer here:)

As far as a "sweet feed".... I use Caprine Challenger made by Blue Seal feeds, it is a goat specific feed and would be considered a sweet feed, it does have molasses but not so much that it's wet, just enough to hold the pellets and minimal crimped corn and oats together to make it attractive.
I've used this for well over 10 years with no problem :)

·
3,693 Posts
Depending on your area and availability, Manna Pro is a good one if you have a small herd of 4 or less, it only comes in a 8lb bag.
I use Cargill Right Now Onyx by Nutrena and have a local mill order it in for me, 50lbs lasts longer here:)

As far as a "sweet feed".... I use Caprine Challenger made by Blue Seal feeds, it is a goat specific feed and would be considered a sweet feed, it does have molasses but not so much that it's wet, just enough to hold the pellets and minimal crimped corn and oats together to make it attractive.
I've used this for well over 10 years with no problem :)
Manna Pro comes in a 40 lb bag.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I give mine Purina? With sweet feed. They have access to both 24/7 also peanut hay..something wrong? ?
Compare the contents of the Purina to the contents of the manna pro or even the sheep/goat sweetlix that is supposed to have much less copper content for the sheep and you will be shocked at the difference... sheep/goat sweetlix has more copper then Purina, I was shocked.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I made a little comparison earlier this year. I was showing a bit of copper deficiency in my dark colored goats on Manna Pro. Couldn't get the Onyx here in New England for a reasonable price so began using the sweetlix/crystallyx? and love it! The copper isn't that much different but for some reason my herd has improved on it. The last column is a local cow mineral.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I use the Manna Pro, but I can't get my goats to eat it. They lick the horse's sulfur block, but don't eat their minerals. I put out a small bowl around feeding time and try to offer it a few times a week when I'm not feeding them. I've only seen them touch it once or twice.

How do you get them to eat it?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
For goats, pick the one with the highest levels of copper and selenium (if you are in a low selenium area). You can get a prescription mix from your vet and have a locale mill mix it up. Many feed stores also do their own mixes.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Mine prefer Sweetlix and golden blend but because I have to get it shipped and everything, I save that for their stall at night. Around here Manna Pro is the only mineral in stores so I give that when they're out during the day. Mine like it, and I see them eating it every once in a while.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts