The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a purebred nubian to add to my small herd to keep my purebred Lamancha buck company - I'd rather have two high quality bucks that I can breed than a buck and a wether.

I'm not as great picking out quality bucks, but I really like the looks of these two. Here is the sire information:
Kiddles&Bits Hillbilly Tuxedo is out of Risen' Creek, Catalpa-Hills, Starfire, and Dancer-Ridge lines

The herd is all CAE/CL 2020 negative.

Which one is your favorite?

Attachments

·
Fair-Haven
4,717 Posts
Do you have Udder pics for the first buck - Risin Creek has nice animals. I like his head - I go more by linear appraisal, DHIR, and show records for purebred bucks I add....... it can help tell the total picture about udders......

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have Udder pics for the first buck - Risin Creek has nice animals. I like his head - I go more by linear appraisal, DHIR, and show records for purebred bucks I add....... it can help tell the total picture about udders......
I don't yet! Either way I just found out the one with the more prominent roman nose (pic 1) has been sold. The other is still available though

·
Fair-Haven
4,717 Posts
You can tell alot by the papers of the sire and dam - go through ADGA genetics to look up info..... it's really hard to tell about young kids, they go through such changes it seems week to week, month to month. His dam has a nice udder, he looks like a lot like his sire in conformation IMO. One of the long, lean more dairy type of bucks, depends on what you want your sire to bring to your girls..... overall a nice buckling. Looks to have nice length in his rump, but they have him overly stretched for the pic, so hands on would be good when you go to look at him. I would like to see him straight on, and from the rear as well to see width of hips and width of chest. His legs look nice and straight and a good tight elbow, doesn't look pinched from the pic. I would like to see more spring of rib in this kid tho..... but know, there is no perfect goat. Pick apart your girls and see what you would like to add. If he offers what you need that's great, if not, pass......

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can tell alot by the papers of the sire and dam - go through ADGA genetics to look up info..... it's really hard to tell about young kids, they go through such changes it seems week to week, month to month. His dam has a nice udder, he looks like a lot like his sire in conformation IMO. One of the long, lean more dairy type of bucks, depends on what you want your sire to bring to your girls..... overall a nice buckling. Looks to have nice length in his rump, but they have him overly stretched for the pic, so hands on would be good when you go to look at him. I would like to see him straight on, and from the rear as well to see width of hips and width of chest. His legs look nice and straight and a good tight elbow, doesn't look pinched from the pic. I would like to see more spring of rib in this kid tho..... but know, there is no perfect goat. Pick apart your girls and see what you would like to add. If he offers what you need that's great, if not, pass......
Well I really am fond of the longer learner type, which my girls definitely are and which this buckling is. I'm a little confused as to what I plan to do because I just found out he's an american Nubian and our girls are purebred. My husband feels that we should hold out to find a high quality purebred herdsire since ours already are PB's. I'm not really sure that a)it makes a difference and b)that we would be able to find one in our area.

·
Fair-Haven
4,717 Posts
I'm with your husband on this one. As a smaller breeder, it's easier to move kids that are purebred. I"m not at all knocking American, but the fact is that many people are particular, and without show records, etc on your Americans, the interest is lower - and all your kids will be American. Where are you located? I might be able to point you to some great breeders who may have some left......

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with your husband on this one. As a smaller breeder, it's easier to move kids that are purebred. I"m not at all knocking American, but the fact is that many people are particular, and without show records, etc on your Americans, the interest is lower - and all your kids will be American. Where are you located? I might be able to point you to some great breeders who may have some left......
I would love that! Northern virginia. I looked up the american bucklings pedigree and it looks really impressive, but then again, I'm not very educated on it at all. Care to have a look and let me know your thoughts?
https://adgagenetics.org/PlannedPedigree.aspx
DAM Reg# N001855194, SIRE#=N001908569

·
Fair-Haven
4,717 Posts
So....... I'm very familiar with the bucks sire's lineage - JH Farms and Risin Creek both produce some lovely animals. I have some JH Farms in my current herd, have had Risin Creek, but no longer. The dam also has some Frosty Marvin in her which I like...... but on both the sire and dam, you have to go back a few generations in the pedigree, and no la scores or other info on the sire and dam, which I like to see when I purchase a herdsire ...... So the question might be - how much do you want to spend? The Amercian Buckling is decent, just lacking information. BUT - Jean Lucas of Kismet (ADGA judge and breeder) has some stellar animals. So hard to decide I know!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So....... I'm very familiar with the bucks sire's lineage - JH Farms and Risin Creek both produce some lovely animals. I have some JH Farms in my current herd, have had Risin Creek, but no longer. The dam also has some Frosty Marvin in her which I like...... but on both the sire and dam, you have to go back a few generations in the pedigree, and no la scores or other info on the sire and dam, which I like to see when I purchase a herdsire ...... So the question might be - how much do you want to spend? The Amercian Buckling is decent, just lacking information. BUT - Jean Lucas of Kismet (ADGA judge and breeder) has some stellar animals. So hard to decide I know!
Thats really great to hear that you are familiar with some of the lineage! I think for the right buckling I'd spend $600-$800 comfortably, more depending on the situation. Do you mean that Jean Lucas has some available at this time? Or just in the future? And do you know where they are located?

It is really tough. My goal right now is to be able to have good milking, healthy goats that I can easily sell the offspring of, maybe make a little profit to go back into the goat supplies and feed, and also parasite resistance.

·
Fair-Haven
4,717 Posts
Check Jean's website - Kismet and reach out for availability and pricing. It's hard - but the better the buck, the better the chances of great kids, etc. Good luck with your decisions, and know that whatever decision you make it is the right one for you at this time! Sending happy thoughts and hugs from your Ohio Nubian enthusiast!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts