The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to give my herd their cdt shot but which one doesn't leave a lump? Can I get one at TSC somewhere? Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and does ivomec plus injectable give them a sting when you give it to them?:( thanks

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I don't think tractor supply has it, but any kind you get, it will not lump up if you give it in the muscle.
As for the ivermectin I have had bad luck with it, weather it was old or new. Just give it to them orally instead of injecting.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I always give the CD&T in the muscle. Most bottles will say you can give either Sub Q or IM. IM in my opinion is better as you have no chance of getting a lump. I give it in the muscle in the neck, to avoid possibly hitting a nerve that runs down the middle of the hind leg. I also give Ivomec orally, at a dose of 1 cc per 25 lbs. Just draw it out into a syringe, take the needle off and slowly squirt in the back of their mouth. Some of my goats even act like the Ivomec is tasty and will want more :)

My TSC carries a Goat CDT, they also have an all species CDT. The goat CDT has 10 doses in it and I think the all species comes in either 10 or 50 doses. Either is fine to get.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
And I like to only give it SQ because I was seeing more reactions to it giving it IM and never saw any giving it SQ.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I'll see what TSC has. If they don't have a different kind I'll just get Bar Vac.

And isn't it bad to do orally on an injected shot?

·
14,615 Posts
Karen is right, it must be injected.
Bar Vac doenst always leave lumps; some are more prone than others.
I have found that when I rub the site briskly before & after the lump isnt as bad.
Warming the syringe full in your hand before giving it also seems to help.;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. So if I get ivomec injectable I can do orally on it? I thought it was bad to do orally on the ivomec injected?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Just wanted to clear up where to inject in on the rear leg. dont do it on the side. Just as was said, there is a nerve there that if you hit it, they goat will never use that leg again. Even getting close to it can make a goat lame for weeks. The best place to give it on the back leg is actually behind the leg in the inward curve, not on the side.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Bar Vac brand is the one that gives the abscesses.
Really?! Don't mean to be argumentative, but I gave 21 kids 2 shots of Bar Vac and never had an abscess in any of them. I did have a lump or two, though. I had more trouble with Covexin. That one caused all kinds of lumps and abscesses in my kids.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Many people on here have had abscesses from Bar Vac. I'm not the only one. If you never have, that is great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Really?! Don't mean to be argumentative, but I gave 21 kids 2 shots of Bar Vac and never had an abscess in any of them. I did have a lump or two, though. I had more trouble with Covexin. That one caused all kinds of lumps and abscesses in my kids.
I gave covexin this year and almost every goat got a lump :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts