The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate some help here - we are getting our first 3 NDs soon and we're working on getting their area put together. We are going to be using t-posts and panels from Tractor Supply...but there are a few to choose from...

Combo Panel which graduates from 2-6" openings
Cattle panel which graduates from 4-6"

I know the sheep/goat panels are great but they are twice as much...so that's not an option.

So which one should I get for NDs? I'm planning on running wire along the top and bottom to keep predators out...

Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
58,459 Posts
You want smallest. Very easy for them to get their head stuck. You may want to put fencing over top of it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you can't afford the goat panels ($60), here's my opinion... use the cheaper cattle panels ($20) that are 4' high and 16' long and then get a hot charger and run electric inside and out 6" from the ground. Taylor chargers are supposed to be good (I was aiming for 5 joules), but I went with the parmak se 5 ($150) and have had no issues at all with anything going near the fence, goats, dogs or otherwise. It can go up to 6.3 but is much cheaper than a Taylor. Overview of my research on hot fence: Use a hot charger (joule rating at least 2 and the higher the better, disregard "miles") and you must have good grounding. My charger calls for three ground rods, and space them at least 8 feet apart. Try to put them in an area that stays wet the longest.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I use the cheap panels from TSC. They are $20 in my area. I call them cattle panels. I have a problem with the kids going through them. I have a 4 month old kid that can still fit through. I wish I could afford the bull panels, but I have them everywhere. They respect electricity, but they test it often and when it goes down they know.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Spring for the sheep and goat panels, and fence a smaller area. Then as you have money, buy more sheep and goat panels and expand their space.

It isn't just about keeping them in, It is also about keeping predators out... Not all of them are deterred by an electrified wire....

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I agree I would go with the beef panels and either put chicken wire or something up or the hot fence. I got a charger that had the highest joules I could find and that was enough to keep a very eager stray dog out of my pen. But i do worry about a new born touching it so I turn it off till everyone has kidded and I turn them back out. A beer panel doesn't keep my boer kids in so I would imagine the nigi babies could go threw at a full run :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts