The Goat Spot Forum banner

Which to Buy???- Southern Belle is hear!!!

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  goatnutty 
#1 ·
I can't decide on what goats to buy so here is my question.2 are registered does and they are bred to a ragistered buck $100 each,2 are not registered (1 purebred,1 94%) and they are bred to a purebred black and white boer buck and $100 each.I don't have registered stock right now.What do you think :GAAH: ? The unregistered ones carry the red color gene as well.

#2 ·
Re: Which to Buy???

I would go with the registered...cause in the end if you ever had to sell...you'd likely get more for the registered ones. Also, if you ever decide to get into registered goats, you'll be sad you didn't get those reg. goats when they were a steal at the same price as non reg. Hopefully you kinda understand what i'm saying. Do you have pictures of either? It might also depend on what they look like. Good luck with your choice!

#4 ·

I agree w/ Susanne in buying the goats that are healthiest and come from a disease-free herd. Registered goats are a neat thing, especially when so cheap. Although if they have terrible, un-sound conformation, that's not good at all. If they were both from healthy, disease-free herds - I guess I would buy the registered ones. Pictures would be cool to see, if you have them. :)

#6 ·

I really doubt the they come from herds that test, especially if they are being sold for so cheap. And most Boer breeders do not test for CAE or CL. Testing is much more of a dairy thing for some reason. Out of all the Boer breeder sites I've looked at, only one professes to test for CL, CAE and Johnes.

Registration papers don't mean a whole lot if the goats are sickly and have horrible conformation. And even if you go with the unregistered goats and decide to get into registered later on, you can register their offspring as percentage. Go with the healthiest, structurally correct does.

Also just a note, since the unregistered does are bred to a purebred buck and not a fullblood, their kids cannot be registered.

#10 ·

Yeah, I wouldn't go with the registered being that they are older, no to many production years left. But go with whichever ones have better quality. It would probably be better to get only a few kids out of the reg. that are quality than to get so so kids out of the unreg. or other way around. Good luck!

#13 ·

We went to look at the " unregistered" ines to fing out the one is registered as 94% and I bought her! Good bloodlines,bred for Dec.,Sweetheart, and huge! She's bigger than my billy and looks like she might have trips or quads in their.Large for just 1 month!I'll post pics if I can but I don't know when that will be.LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.