The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday about noon, my first set of triplets EVER was born.
11lb boy (Fitz), 9.5lb boy (Flick), 6.5lb girl (Flora)
Kinda a picky mom. She did great with a single last year. But I think she is struggling with 3. I know i should pull one, but none of them will take a bottle.
She has decided she has a favorite, Flick. She lets him nurse when ever he wants.
The other two only get to sneak in a nurse when Flick is nursing.
Sometimes Fitz can nurse by himself, but for the most part its just Flick. Flora can only nurse if someone else is nursing.

And when mama sees all three trying to nurse, its all over.
Problem is none of them will take a bottle.

Question is which one do i pull off mama??
I thought about pulling her favorite so the other two get treated the same....
Or pulling the little girl because she's the smallest...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
449 Posts
The girl will almost always be the smallest. Take that one as she’ll be the least competitive. Feed whole milk or goat milk.

I’ve had the best luck waiting at least 4/6 hours so the kid is hungry then tucking the kid between my knees, covering the face/eyes with a hand towel, placing the bottle in her mouth and hold with one hand and tickle her tail with the other. Be sure your milk is warm enough, we shoot for 101 to 102.

Good job on noticing that the three aren’t moms ideal and fixing it! Good luck!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Usually if the girl is one I want to keep I pull the girl. If I don’t want to keep any then I’ll pull a boy and get it started and sell as a bottle baby. Over the years it has been the biggest and the smallest, even the middle size and it really doesn’t make a difference.
I agree with CBPitts, give it some time for whoever you pull to get nice and hungry. They will NOT starve to death if they don’t take the bottle right away. I think the very longest it took for one to take a bottle was 12 hours, stubborn turd! Just keep trying every few hours. The baby will probably not latch right on so you will have to kinda pry the mouth open and put the nipple in his/her mouth. As soon as it gets hungry enough and tastes that milk it will latch right on.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Definitely get the right temperature on the bottle to convince them. Over 100* feels hot to you but for goats is perfect.

One option is to leave all three, hold the dam's head twice a day to allow nursing AND offer bottles twice per day. They are hungry and with the few tips above you should convince them to take a bottle.

Make sure her feed matches the demands of milking for triplets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. So far mom's been getting loads of food, so shes happy.
We've been trying whole milk, but still to no avail. But probably will try the cover their eyes part.
I'm gonna weigh them and see the difference.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
All great advice.

Have mama raise the biggest kids, I always leave on the any Doelings.
Then, if you want to sell her then do so at weaning.

Keep trying to teach the one to bottle feed or find someone who may want to try, you can give or sell the baby to someone if you don’t want to deal with it.

Congrats on the wee ones.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I have trips on a doe now. The buckling is HUGE. He hogs milk. The other two are does. The smallest doe, I supplment with a bottle but she nurses mom too. (I milk mom and another doe and use moms milk). So she gets the best of both.

·
Registered
65 Posts
colors from top.jpg
IMG_20200509_081815__01.jpg
I haven't had to pull any, and in three years of births, have had quads three times, and trips twice (and pairs, of course) colors from top.jpg IMG_20200509_081815__01.jpg on my two Nubians and two Boer goats. I combine the suggestions above, so I 1. rotate bottle feeding for the first week, milking out enough from mama so it's her own milk the kids get. Yes, the ones who take to it the best get more from me, inevitably. I also tie up mama so the smallest on or two get a good nursing from her at least twice a day (While the other one or two are asleep with full milk bellies!) for the first maybe ten days until I see they are all getting enough. (Yes, the dude or one favorite dude always gets more.) The two smallest of the quads from May are now my grandchildren's first dairy goat projects! (Well, the grandkids are only 2 and 4, so call it "practice goats"! The bottle feeding that week, which the children helped with, made Mocha and Maybelline so tame!
Anyway, that program seemed to work well. If the goat wasn't a good mama, however, that might be trickier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts