which would you buy?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nubians2, Feb 25, 2011.

1. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

I am just in the thinking stage but if you had the choice would you get a doeling or an almost two year old that has never been pregnant? I am going for milk not show. I am leaning towards the two year old because she could be bred sooner but wondered if it being her first time later if it was a problem.

2. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I had the same problem, and I kinda wanted the one who was old enough to breed (get milk faster), but found that the doeling was much more affordable, so I got a kid. I don't regret it, I have loved bonding with her, but in many ways an older goat would be nice in that you don't have to baby them so much!

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How old is the doeling?
    Most standard goat breeders will use a "60lbs or 8 months" way of determining when to breed a kid, even if you decide to get the 2 year old, Nubians are seasonal breeders and unless she's already bred, you still won't see kids or milk til next year...most standards will breed from August to February

4. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

The doeling would be this years babies which if I want to bottle feed would be around 50.00-100.00. This two year old I have seen advertised for 125.00 it was a 4-h animal, both would be possible to register. I am leaning towards the two year old. I would breed either one in the fall but wouldnt have to wait based on size.

5. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    I prefer getting mature does as you have a better idea of what you are getting that with a kid that could turn out awesome, or just so-so. However, since the 2 yr old has yet to freshen you really don't what to expect out of either milk wise. Do you know the milking history of their parents? I would go for the one with better potential in your case. As far as the price difference, it will cost you money to feed the bottle baby so really is a wash in the end!