The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
They are truly gorgeous, congrats! If it were me I would want them to be an in between size between toggs and ND's but that is just me. At five months they stilll have some growing to do. They sure look togg I really don't see the ND in them at all!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thank yall so much! I really love these babies they are just so sweet too, and they really do look like a downsized version of a standard Togg. I don't know if you can see but the darker girl "Dancer" has wattles. I am hoping that they mature to an in between size too, that would be perfect!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,911 Posts
Beautiful! Congrats! I've always loved the Togg color.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Def go visit both if you can before making a decision. Personalities vary so much between breeds, and how they were raised is a big factor too. Some goats that werent handled much as babies never seem to warm up to people, no matter how much you spoil them. :) Production will vary greatly by breeder too, so take a look at thier dams and granddams if they are avaliable to view.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Gorgeous girls!
Get paperwork on the parents so you can register them through the MDGA or TMGR. I use TMGR because most of their members and shows are out west, your mileage may vary.
Your difficulty is going to be finding at least an F1 registered Mini Togg buck to breed them to in order to get F2 babies. Minis aren't considered purebred until the 6th generation. On thing you can do if you can't find a Mini Togg buck is back breed them to a registered, purebred Nigie buck. Your babies will turn out a little smaller than their mamas and will still be registered as F1s, not F2s. Some mini breeders do this on purpose to get sizes down.
I bought my first mini buck from a Togg breeder in the southern part of my state who uses a nigie buck to breed all her first year full sized togg does to get them into milk for shows. She doesn't bother with registration on the babies, isn't really interested in minis, she does it that way because minis are so easy to sell. Her nigie buck is registered so I had her keep her best blue eyed mini boy (that's him in my avatar, "Chapito"...Shorty) for me one year and was able to continue breeding minis. Most of my minis are blue eyed as a result. A little bonus...

·
Registered
628 Posts
If it were me I would want them to be an in between size between toggs and ND's but that is just me.
My minis are all basically about 2/3 of a purebred Togg down to half a Togg at F3 and beyond.
The only oversized mini babies I got were from breeding my F1 buck to full sized does, but they still qualified and were registered as F1 minis. There is no height restriction for first gens.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Our Nigerian doe Maya is a tiny little thing, she only stands about 15 inches at the withers at over a year and a half, these girls are about an inch taller than her at 5 months. I hope they get bigger, I would love to see them get to 23-24 inches, is that possible that they can go through some growth spurts from now till their a year? Maya is just super tiny for a Nigerian but she's filled out good. The Nigerian who was a sire to these Mini Togg girls was not registered but the Dam was registered through the ADGA. I would love to find a Mini Togg buck sometime in the future, right now we have our Nigie buck Reggie.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Full sized Toggs don't achieve their adult size for about 2 years. This is true of most standard dairy breeds. Your girls will grow. I bet they'll be 25 inches in two years. My F1 buck was 18 inches at 4 months and grew into a 90 lb. monster at 28 inches.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will be very interested as to how their milk production is. I am the only one consuming my Nigi milk. I have only 1 goat i production - and for me it is enough. But I am just making cheese with it - and now ice cream. ^^ It is delicious however. A month ago - I was toying with the idea of a Mini std. goat - just to get higher milk production. Now I'm glad I dont have one - how much cheese can I eat? lol

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thats so good to hear! At what age do you usually breed your girls?
Size is more important than age. I look for about 75 lbs on my standard toggs and around 40 for the minis.

There is good info in the Mini forum about other Nigie/standard cross breeds that holds true for Mini Toggs. I'd be looking for some well developed capacity; width and depth before breeding. My minis seem to have retained the Nigerian trait of having LITTERS rather than twins or triplets. This is a trait that I could easily do without. One of my first pair of F1 does kidded FIVE on her first breeding and came down seriously ill from an infection. The vet brought out his portable ultrasound and said he felt she probably had a uterine scrape, not a tear or perforation luckily. She survived but I've been reluctant to breed her since. Her twin always kids two or three.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thank God your Doe was ok!!! Wow that is a scary situation, we bred our 4 year old German Shepherd to a gorgeous German Shepherd stud last year and her pregnancy went along smoothly puppies, were very active in there and we took her in to get an x-ray to see if she will birth them ok and how many were in there, there was 7 and everything looked good. Well the big day came, I had her whelping box all ready and her first two were stillborn, she didn't have any contractions for 3 hrs and I started to get pretty worried. We took her into the emergency vet as it was late at night, and she had to get a c-section. None of the puppies made it :( but I thank God our girl did, so scary! Yeah I thought weight would be much more important in the Does rather than age. That is a lot of kids! I hope we have twins and such around here, I'd be worried about the kidding if there's more like your Doe, but if there is more than 2 or 3 you would probably have to supplement right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
No I was thinking about waiting till they were a year like I did with our Nigerian (well she's over a year). But I can't tell if our Nigerian is pg she is still so little. If she is pg she would be about 3 months along.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
My Dru looks a little too much like a deer for my taste. She is the same color as a whitetail, I think I am going to buy her an orange vest for hunting season.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.