The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thank God your Doe was ok!!! Wow that is a scary situation, we bred our 4 year old German Shepherd to a gorgeous German Shepherd stud last year and her pregnancy went along smoothly puppies, were very active in there and we took her in to get an x-ray to see if she will birth them ok and how many were in there, there was 7 and everything looked good. Well the big day came, I had her whelping box all ready and her first two were stillborn, she didn't have any contractions for 3 hrs and I started to get pretty worried. We took her into the emergency vet as it was late at night, and she had to get a c-section. None of the puppies made it :( but I thank God our girl did, so scary! Yeah I thought weight would be much more important in the Does rather than age. That is a lot of kids! I hope we have twins and such around here, I'd be worried about the kidding if there's more like your Doe, but if there is more than 2 or 3 you would probably have to supplement right?
You'd be surprised how many they can support, you just have to watch growth to make sure everybody's getting a turn. My does, large and mini, ALL tend to favor their boys and will let a little buckling hog more milk than his sister(s) get. Triplets or more I just watch things carefully. Happy your dog survived!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have noticed also - the doe favors the bucklings as far as nursing goes. :(
The last doe to kid (FF) had triplets - sigh..... 2 bucks/1 doe. I would hold the biggest buckling while the other two nursed. LOL - it was so funny. He was gorgeous also - blue eyes that would melt you - I "renamed" him - Newman. ^^

41 - 42 of 42 Posts