The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, this is the place to talk, discuss, gripe, deliberate, complain, dissertate and gripe about anything weather related. Just to be clear I mean weather not wether.

There is a thread "Whine about the heat" but it is now morphing into general weather whining. Instead of changing that threads name I thought it better to just start a new discussion.

Anything weather related is fair game including good weather, terrible weather, problems with forecasting weather or even whining about the heat.

Btw, it helps if you include at least a general location if you are talking about "your" weather.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
As it happens, we (on Vancouver Island) are expecting a lot of rain in the next couple of days. "The high water content is associated with an Atmospheric River flowing from the southwest off the Pacific Ocean." I have never heard the term "Atmospheric River" before.
"They" are talking about getting up to 10cm of rain.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I simply do not want it to snow. It’s getting colder and colder outside and I! Do! Not! Want! It!
I’m worried our animals will get too cold, but obviously they’ve survived it before. Just over worried mom here!

·
Registered
285 Posts
@Kaitlyn

Please can we have some snow.... its so hot here now...
Absolutely! I do not want our snow. After getting into livestock and realizing how much we can get done through the summer, I’m just dreading having to stay inside because it’s so cold and the snow gets so piled up.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,219 Posts
Well good. Ive never seen a SCI goat in full winter dress. Soooo Ill get my chance here in a couple of months..right?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Well, the temps are dropping here in Missouri. It's supposed to be in the 40s tonight...not all that cold, but the air is raw and wet and there is a wind. Just ordered a bale of straw at the feed store. I think the goats are going to need some bedding tonight. Got one goat with a respiratory infection and a few others with mildly snotty noses. They are not used to this weather yet!

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,103 Posts
Going from temps of mid 80's today down to mid 40's tomorrow night. NC has a cold front moving in for a few days. If I remember correctly, Sunday night has a slight frost warning in some areas. Going from sleeveless today to sleeves and a light jacket after dusk tomorrow. Who knows what type of temperatures next week may bring. ;)

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,219 Posts
Well we had 90° on Thursday..then a storm at 1a.m. woke up to 50° s. It warmed up to 70° and tonight it drops to 48° . And yes, the goats will get snotty noses from the rollar coaster ride of heat, wet& cold, then wet and warm. Soooo much fun..bring on the VetRx & Robitussin !

·
Registered
68 Posts
To be getting ready to cool off next week today was too humid. Was working on the new road between the properties and almost got too hot this evening.
Hopefully you got some of the relief we did - storms rolled through overnight and dumped a couple of inches of rain in our part of Morgan County. So the pasture was a muddy mess this morning but the breezes and ~60s for temps today sure do make up for a lot!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Can’t complain here too much...Rain for two days then today in the 70’s and nights about 45*...
great sleeping weather 😁 doing daily vitamin c gummies and starting to get ready for winterizing the sleeping quarters. (Deep cleans and draft prevention) Got the younger goats barn done yesterday, tomorrow reskining the hoop houses ...(need a day off the bum leg in between) but moving along 😁

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Hopefully you got some of the relief we did - storms rolled through overnight and dumped a couple of inches of rain in our part of Morgan County. So the pasture was a muddy mess this morning but the breezes and ~60s for temps today sure do make up for a lot!
We did! But oh the mud and the natural spring is running.

Welcome to mud season lol.

·
8,495 Posts
It's been pretty warm and mostly dry for the last few weeks. Friday was 82 F. Sat. an outside farm auction- 54F and wind and rain- boy was it miserable!
A good friend's parents had died and what an auction- a lot of stuff- grandparents on both sides had died in the last 10 years- so all that stuff, 2 complete
households of years of stuff, plus my friend's parents own stuff- the parents were going to do through it, then the mom died in 2013, the dad was devastated
and wouldn't let anyone sort or go through stuff- he had a stroke a few years ago- home health nurses, etc. He died this last Spring- they have been sorting
stuff for months! Farmers never throw anything remotely usable, out!

But, the miserable weather drew the crowds! No field work so the place was packed! Who'd uh thunk it!

1 - 20 of 232 Posts