White doe changing color...?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Granolamom, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    We have 7-month old Boer mix twin sisters. One of the has the typical brown/white Boer markings, the other one is completely white, or at least she was until recently. Over the past 4 weeks we noticed a partial darkening (turning brownish) of her formerly white coat, mostly around one eye, the bridge of her nose, over her shoulders and along her left side.
    Could this be because she is maturing, and perhaps simply just starting to look more like a Boer, or could this be a copper deficiency (which I have heard will also cause certain color changes)? My goats get alfalfa/orchard hay, free-choice loose goat minerals, and dumor goat chow.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    could be deficiency... or just that the winter coat is shedding out....
    Is the hair coarse looking or really fluffy almost like wool?
    Any Fishtail appearence?

A Pic... would help determine what is happening..... :wink:

3. Granolamom

Granolamom New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I'll try to post a picture later. Her coat is wooly and soft, unlike her sister's, who has lost all her fluff and is smooth and shiny. She has a good appetite, and is very playful and active.

4. Granolamom

Granolamom New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    ...no fishtail look, either, she seems the picture of health:)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like ...she just has her winter coat still... it should shed out....but... seeing a pic ....we will know for sure.... :wink: :thumb:

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    some does gain color/pigment as they age.. i've see traditional does develop a sort of flea-bitten type coloring as they aged

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a doe that is all white, or I should say was all white. She now has black down her face, and her beard (the prettiest one I have ever seen) is turning black. She also has black in her body now.

I wish we would do that. :greengrin: Instead of turning Gray, go black. :cool:

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We have a doe that was nearly completely white when we bought her, and in the last month I've noticed she is getting a very light brown around her eyes, cheeks, head and neck. It's real light but you can see it. She's a yearling.