White flakes in fiber

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by LouLou, Mar 23, 2009.

1. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Wellington, CO
    I am SO new to this. I was combing my girls (Mona and Esther) Sunday. Some of the fiber from Mona, after I'd been combing a little while, had white flakes in it. I was worried it might be "alive", but I think it was just dry flakes of skin. I know there are a few emails about aloe vera juice and other supplements, but I don't know what to do. They eat a little hay each day and I've been giving them a goat cookie or two in the last few weeks (which they now LOVE), but nothing else other than water. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I really like using aloe Juice either in the water or as a drench

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I tried to post this right when the site whent buggo(good recovery btw), sounds like goat dandruff. If the flakes dont walk away after you comb them out then prolly not a problem. I dont have the issue as my goats found and the completely manicured my aloe vera patch for me and now their coats shine :) .

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey Lynda, same here this weekend. I was combing goats and saying good bye ot a bunch and I was bawling like a big baby. mine do have a lot of the dry flakes also. Mine seem to get it more when it is this dry.

One year we were at Estes Park Wool Market and the judge was telling everyone that there goats should not have that problem. Funny they ALL had it. We had to explain to him that there were cashmere goats not sheep (that is what he normally judged).
    I do give the Aloe Vera Juice but only to one of my does, Monica. She is the one that gets it really bad and the dry skin makes me hurt looking at it, but she is allergic to the sun. :sun: Go Figure. But I love her so much.