White foam from mouth

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NDinKY, Jan 19, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Just went out to the barn to lock everyone up for the night and one of my does (pregnant, due early April) had some white foam at the edges of her mouth. I was immediately worried about frothy bloat but she is acting normal. Her rumen does not feel bloated and she wanted to eat the hay with everyone. Standing a little hutched, but so are half of them since it is 15 degrees out and it was in the mid 50s yesterday. No teeth grinding, no standing off by herself, acting totally normal. After I wiped the foam away it didn’t come back.

I gave her some simethicone and docusate since those are both benign if it is not frothy bloat and from what I read are effective treatments for goat bloat. I’m currently trying to flatten some dark beer to give her and will go check her in an hour to see how she is doing.

I hope it’s nothing and I’m just overreacting, but if anyone has experience/ideas with white foam from the mouth I’d appreciate recommendations.

2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I went to check her and she seems fine. Gave her some dark beer (btw Guinness takes forever to flatten, even with whisking it). Massaged her rumen, which she seemed to enjoy. She burped a couple of times, but nothing that brought up foam. Temp is 101.8. I’m going to leave her for the night and check on her in the am. If she’s still foamy I’ll call my vet.

Pic of the foam (had frozen so was still on the bedding)
    IMG_1417.jpg

Pics of Katie tonight, the foamer

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like she was really enjoying chewing her cud. The bicarb they make in their saliva bubbles :shrug:
    There's really no good reason to medicate a healthy animal, especially without stopping to diagnose.

4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I didn’t realize the foaming could be normal, good to know! Thank you for that information.

As far as medicating, both docusate and simethicone are pretty harmless so I felt the potential benefit outweighed the risks after reading some manuscripts regarding those meds in goat bloat. I’m a pharmacist so I’m pretty comfortable weighing risks and benefits before dosing.

5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I jave one that when chewin cud always is foamy. Scared me the first few times but now eh she has a happy rumen.

6. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    One of my goats also foams when chewing cud sometimes. It doesn't happen all the time but you can definitely see some white foam in the corners of her mouth.

When we bought her two years ago, the previous owner said she's been foaming since she was a baby. After we had her for awhile she stopped foaming and only did it a little bit this past summer. She's always seemed fine and she's been a healthy and happy girl so far.

Angel A and NDinKY like this.
  7. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

It sounds like she's OK.

Foaming can also be a sign of a zinc deficiency, usually caused by too much rich alfalfa, or too much copper in proportion to the zinc (needs to be 1:3 in the total diet)

But as I said, it sounds like she's OK.

NDinKY and cristina-sorina like this.
  8. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the reassurance everyone! This is the first time I’ve come across this. She still had a little foam this am. Talked to my vet and he thought she may have gotten into something and to just keep an eye on her. He also said she may not be drinking enough water causing some dry mouth.

I’ll look for signs of zinc deficiency in her. She’s one I’ve had to bolus with copper more so than some of the others, and we increased the alfalfa a few weeks ago.

It’s good to know others have foamy goats too! Everything I was finding last night had me concerned about frothy bloat and that I’d have a dead goat in the am.

Here she is this am, just waking up.

IMG_1425.jpg

cristina-sorina likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is OK and so cute. :)

NDinKY likes this.
  10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I have one that has foamed his entire life but only when he is really really chewing. On rainy days when they are cooped up inside and have nothing to do but chew cud he will get frothy saliva. I think it runs in some lines of goats.

toth boer goats and NDinKY like this.
  11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I agree with NigerianDwarfOwner, some just froth. I had an Alpine that looked like a she ate soap suds. She frothed from kid hood until the day before she died at 14. The kids I kept from her froth and one granddaughter does too!

12. Angel A

Angel A Active Member

Apr 4, 2020
    North Idaho
    I have a boer doe, 2 yrs old, and she froths at the mouth too. I instinctively saw it, treated her for bloat, made sure the mineral dish was filled and the baking soda...she had twins last month...some days she’s frothy and some days she’s not. Seems happy and healthy and in no pain, so I figure, she’s good!