White snot??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I have a sicky that has whit snot when she coughs. I have never seen white snot. I am treating with antibiotics, and will run a fecal again in the morning. She has had a runny nose, adn started coughing the other day. I have seen yellow, clear even green snot, but never white snot..Any ideas what it could be?? Thanks!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you take her temp before treating her?

We don't start on antibiotics ....unless they have a temp....

3. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    She has a low grade fever..
    Any ideas on the snot?

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Anyone???
    I know that green snot usually means there is infection..
    Any ideas??

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    From what I've been told I think white snot is a sign of pneumonia. But someone correct me if I am wrong.

Can you listen to her lungs? How do they sound? How is she eating? Is she acting ok?

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Her lungs sound clear, she is eating normally, that's what I thought!!
    I brought her inside tonight, she is almost six weeks old, I am
    shocked that she is even sick!! I have never had this happen before!
    But I have never had winter babies either!
    They have been wormed, could it be from Lung Worms??
    How do I know for sure? I can send a swab off to Wa. State on Tuesday!!
    Jeezee!!Pneumonia!! Jeezee!!

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Calm down, don't get too worried yet if she is still eating and everything. :hug:

Here are two sites that have info on Pneumonia:(Looks like I might be wrong about the white nasal discharge according to: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... nia06.html :oops: )
    http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/hea ... umonia.asp

But what is her temp now? If she laboring to breath or does she just have discharge? Some vet rx or vicks could help with that.

Also some nutri drench couldn't hurt.

Oh and what antibiotic did you start her on?

8. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Last night her temp was 104.7 I will take it again this AM.
    She is not labored breathing.
    I started her on pennject yesterday.
    I also have her on herbal stuff to build the immune system,
    she looks pot bellied to me, so I also started her
    on albon as well. I did a fecal when she was dehorned,
    and it was negitive. I will collect and run another today..
    The snot isn't as white this morning.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    How is she today?

10. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    She is a little better, still coughing quite a bit, still has a runny nose, but the snot is turning to white type of clearish. I read on Onion Creek Web site that the white snot could be an allergy. I did put shavings in her stall the other day, and then her nose was bad. It is freezing cold here, blowing freezing rain right now, and no straw to be found for the next week. I think maybe she had a little cold and the shavings aggrivated it.. Oh, and she has a temp of 103.4 today, eating well..I am still keeping her inside, bringing her dam in 3x daily to nurse her. She is not by the wood stove, but she is in a warm room, about 70 in there all the time. So she wont be getting chilled. I am going to worm her real good too, aside from the albon that is..
    Oh, thanks for asking and for supporting my little freak out session I had yesterday.. I take it very personally when any of my animals get sick.. I am kindof weird that way!! :wink:

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Don't worry, I'm the same about my goats. If anyone looks at all off I take them inside the barn and check them all over.

Her temp is staying up there. I don't know that I would worm her yet if she isn't feeling that great. It might make her worse. I would call the vet and ask them what they think about it.

:hug:

12. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I was going to wait to give her the chemical wormer. Wait to see how she does by next week.
    I tech at the vet out here, so I am gonna takl to my Dr. on Tuesday when I go to work..She is sounding funny, like snorting today too..Jeezzee!! Anyways, I may just take her with me if the roads aren't too bad, be good to get a real diagnosis..
    To top it all off she is suppose to be going to her new home in two weeks!! Jeezzers!