Who A.I's their does?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JessaLynn, Feb 22, 2011.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I've wondered if keeping a buck is really the way to go or just buy semen. :chin: For you that has A.I your does, how do you know when to buy,how to store it? :whatgoat: anything else you can tell me about the process.I'm clueless how it all works.I think it would be the way to go since I have such a small herd.

2. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Timing is critical. Technique is pretty simple once you learn it but I don't really reccomend it for a small herd. The process is very expensive and its main purpose is for getting better genetics. A semen tank costs 400 - 1500. And up depending on what size you want. You have to get it filled with nitrogen. Anyways that is just my opinion. :wink:

3. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    We have thought about AI too. It is just too expensive for the equipment. I was thinking about asking a dairy farmer if I could 'rent' some space in their nitrogen tank but am waiting until I have met them first so that they don't think I am crazy.

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    wow!! :shocked: :shocked: Glad I asked.That's so out of the question!!! :? Can't justify that one to the hubby! :oops: Well guess I'm looking for a new buck this summer :) Owell maybe I can rent him out for stud service but then again I don't want to risk disease or sickness :sigh:

5. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Ive only got 10 breed able does and its worth it to us, A.I is our plan for 2011 breeding 100%. I figure our kids will be worth more because of their pedigrees and by selling them we will make the money back for the tank and equipment.

6. SweetSaanens

SweetSaanens New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    We have to get into AI because we will be breeding a endangered breed of goat this year and their are no bucks on this side of the country that are not closely related!
    We have a vasectomised buck which helps with that crucial timing without the risk of impregnating your doe with the wrong semen and will have a nitrogen tank in the summer.
    Anyone in the Oregon area wanting to AI their does can contact me about borrowing the buck (must have recent proof of a healthy disease free doe) and storing their semen in the tank.
    We will be bringing our does to the vet for the actual AI as with this particular breed a different method must be used and that costs $70 per doe but I believe it is a little cheaper for your usual AI methods.

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I jumped into AI last fall, definitely will be worth it in my opinion! However you pretty much still need a buck, because not every doe is a good AI candidate and you will need a clean up buck for those that don't settle AI.

To help with set up costs, try to find a good used tank, and the other equipment is only around $150-$200 plus your semen, will be totally worth it once you sell a couple kids! Also try to find a class to go to, helps a lot if you can see it done/do it hands on.

8. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Yeah I agree if you do it, you will want to keep a buck on hand. Especially when your starting out. I also agree with FarmGirl, you will benifit from seeing it done first hand. And you should start A.I. soon after you learn it, it's not like riding a bike, you can and will forget. :wink:

9. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Although it can be hard to get semen without a dry shipper. Which cost about $700-$1000. Unless you go to the national shows where you can buy semen from companies like Superior Semen Works. I am going to have to buy a dry shipper this summer. That's the only way I will be able to bring in semen. :(