The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wondered if keeping a buck is really the way to go or just buy semen. :chin: For you that has A.I your does, how do you know when to buy,how to store it? :whatgoat: anything else you can tell me about the process.I'm clueless how it all works.I think it would be the way to go since I have such a small herd.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Timing is critical. Technique is pretty simple once you learn it but I don't really reccomend it for a small herd. The process is very expensive and its main purpose is for getting better genetics. A semen tank costs 400 - 1500. And up depending on what size you want. You have to get it filled with nitrogen. Anyways that is just my opinion. :wink:

·
Registered
267 Posts
We have thought about AI too. It is just too expensive for the equipment. I was thinking about asking a dairy farmer if I could 'rent' some space in their nitrogen tank but am waiting until I have met them first so that they don't think I am crazy.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow!! :shocked: :shocked: Glad I asked.That's so out of the question!!! :? Can't justify that one to the hubby! :oops: Well guess I'm looking for a new buck this summer :) Owell maybe I can rent him out for stud service but then again I don't want to risk disease or sickness :sigh:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ive only got 10 breed able does and its worth it to us, A.I is our plan for 2011 breeding 100%. I figure our kids will be worth more because of their pedigrees and by selling them we will make the money back for the tank and equipment.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have to get into AI because we will be breeding a endangered breed of goat this year and their are no bucks on this side of the country that are not closely related!
We have a vasectomised buck which helps with that crucial timing without the risk of impregnating your doe with the wrong semen and will have a nitrogen tank in the summer.
Anyone in the Oregon area wanting to AI their does can contact me about borrowing the buck (must have recent proof of a healthy disease free doe) and storing their semen in the tank.
We will be bringing our does to the vet for the actual AI as with this particular breed a different method must be used and that costs $70 per doe but I believe it is a little cheaper for your usual AI methods.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I jumped into AI last fall, definitely will be worth it in my opinion! However you pretty much still need a buck, because not every doe is a good AI candidate and you will need a clean up buck for those that don't settle AI.

To help with set up costs, try to find a good used tank, and the other equipment is only around $150-$200 plus your semen, will be totally worth it once you sell a couple kids! Also try to find a class to go to, helps a lot if you can see it done/do it hands on.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yeah I agree if you do it, you will want to keep a buck on hand. Especially when your starting out. I also agree with FarmGirl, you will benifit from seeing it done first hand. And you should start A.I. soon after you learn it, it's not like riding a bike, you can and will forget. :wink:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Although it can be hard to get semen without a dry shipper. Which cost about $700-$1000. Unless you go to the national shows where you can buy semen from companies like Superior Semen Works. I am going to have to buy a dry shipper this summer. That's the only way I will be able to bring in semen. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts