The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it appears that my Nubian/Lamancha girls are still struggling getting preggo... I was hopeful that both were bred, by the one buck just went after both of them again today, so I'm taking that as a sign that they are not bred... I may just end up selling these 2 girls as brush eaters and pets, or there is a guy up the road well he'll eat anything, at least that way I know they won't be out in a field somewhere being neglected and not cared for... and suffering...

I have wormed, copper bolused, selenium/vitamin E gel, but noticed that my area is also iodine deficient. I also read that kelp had a good source of iodine... I went online to see where I could get some, and I found some from amazon for like $87.00 and a 50 lb bag for $137.00. I'm still on unemployment and I can't afford those prices.... I'm willing to do 30-40 bucks... Where do you get yours? I read that you can paint the tail web with iodine for deficient goats, is this true? Should I just try that instead? The odd thing is everyone else is healthy it's just these 2 girls.... But since I am in a deficient area should I treat all my kids?

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
How long have you been trying to get them bred? Just because the buck is going after them, doesn't necessarily mean they're in heat or that they aren't bred.

Kelp is good, but it shouldn't be necessary. If you've gone through all that...the worming, copper, selenium, and have them on good quality hay and minerals...you should have no problem getting them bred IF they're able to be bred. I've fed kelp before and yes it's good if you have the extra money, but I don't find it necessary at all and you shouldn't have to try so hard and spend a lot of money to get the does bred. If they aren't settling now, then adding kelp likely isn't going to be the trick that does it.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you been trying to get them bred? Just because the buck is going after them, doesn't necessarily mean they're in heat or that they aren't bred. Kelp is good, but it shouldn't be necessary. If you've gone through all that...the worming, copper, selenium, and have them on good quality hay and minerals...you should have no problem getting them bred IF they're able to be bred. I've fed kelp before and yes it's good if you have the extra money, but I don't find it necessary at all and you shouldn't have to try so hard and spend a lot of money to get the does bred. If they aren't settling now, then adding kelp likely isn't going to be the trick that does it.
Well, I had them running with a kinder buck for 6 months last season, and nothing...:( They were running with a Nigerian buck the season before I got them, and nothing. Figured out that 1 had severe copper deficiency, (new to goats so I didn't know) took care of that by copper bolusing... Health improves.... Did the selenium and vit e gel a week and a half ago... I thought one of them might have taken in August, she stood for the buck and everything, the other one stood for the buck last week. Now the buck won't leave the one that I thought took in August alone, he has now though...

Why would the buck be trying to get her if she isn't in heat? She wouldn't go into heat if she's settled right? Or do I have over crazed sex maniacs for bucks? (LOL)

I am still concerned about the iodine though. Pro manna minerals doesn't have iodine listed...

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
How is their health as of right now? Shiny, full coats? Good weight? If they weren't in good health before and were just recently given selenium, wormings, etc. then it will take awhile for them to get back to full health.

Even after a doe has settled, they can have false heats and act like they're in heat. However, if your doe is flagging and standing for the buck, then she's likely in standing heat.
Some bucks will try and breed does constantly, while others are more lazy or laid back.

How old are these does? If they were in good health and you've been trying to breed them since last year, they could be cystic, or it could be something else. I wouldn't expect an iodine deficiency to cause two does to not take though...but honestly, i'm not that knowledgable when it comes to iodine issues.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She isn't standing or flagging at all, she's running from him... The times where she did stand to catch her breath (I think) her tail was definitely down. There coats are finally looking very good, weight is also good. Currently they do a lot of browse, before the big girls would browse some but lay around a lot, now they are into the bushes, fields, etc with the rest of them.

·
4,499 Posts
Just FYI... I buy my kelp from a place online called (of all things) Kelp for less. They sell all sorts of soil amendment stuff. That was the best price I could find. I buy it about 5 lbs at a time and sprinkle it on their food every once in a while, or offer free choice.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just FYI... I buy my kelp from a place online called (of all things) Kelp for less. They sell all sorts of soil amendment stuff. That was the best price I could find. I buy it about 5 lbs at a time and sprinkle it on their food every once in a while, or offer free choice.
How long does it usually last? I'll check it out... I'm concerned about all their iodine levels, so maybe it would be worth it. I have others I'm concerned with too, but they seem to be MUCH healthier then these two, and they have no problems getting bred.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
I don't think the fertilizer stuff is ok. You want to make sure it is food grade for the animals. The place where I get it from has both and actually says not to use the fertilizer kelp for animals.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think the fertilizer stuff is ok. You want to make sure it is food grade for the animals. The place where I get it from has both and actually says not to use the fertilizer kelp for animals.
Where do you get yours from?

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
I get mine from Wilco they always have it. $80.00 for 50 lbs. That bag lasts about a year.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get mine from Wilco they always have it. $80.00 for 50 lbs. That bag lasts about a year.
Wilco huh...? I don't think there is one around here, maybe I could order it... Have you heard of painting iodine on the tail web? Curious because it's sounds strange to me..

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
Yeah, it is strange. It's not even the same kind of iodine. There is a woman who's username is Romeysbaskets or something like that. You can find her on the homesteadingtoday market place forum. She hand harvests kelp in the Puget Sound and sells it through mail order.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks KW Farms, not sure why I couldn't find it last night though... I might try a small bag of it to see if it does any good... Then I might branch out to get something bigger later.

Thank you all... These girls are making me CRAZY! Maybe I should sell them and take you up on your offer Goathiker....hmmmmm?

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
That offer will still be there in the spring. There will be at least one good milking doe, possibly two, and some doelings...

·
4,499 Posts
I called the kelp co. And asked them about using it for my livestock before I ordered...they said it was A-ok, safe for consumption. (of course, they could lie?).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts