The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With kidding season here I thought this would be a fun thread.

Who are you most excited about? Maybe a milking yearling or seeing a seasoned doe with another year of maturity? Or how about a kid from your most anticipated breeding, or a kid that just catches your eye from the moment of birth? Or a certain trait you have been breeding for that you finally have? Or how about that buck that is just amazing you every time you lay eyes on him?

This is open to all goat types! Pack goats, meat goats, dairy goats, pet goats...doesn't matter! Anything goat :) Pics are always great ;)

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I'm really hopeful about this little gal (well, big gal actually) Tigerlily.
Tigerlily_Bath.5.jpg

She'll be four years old this summer but has had two pregnancies end badly. The first kid was a week overdue and ended up in a terrible head back position which me and a vet together could not correct in time. That beautiful buck kid was dead on arrival. Then last year Tigerlily had one too many fights and aborted about a month before her due date--another buckling (which is what I want from her!). I knew beforehand she was going to have trouble because she kept picking fights with every goat in the herd, and it was inevitable that she would eventually get slammed. She even provoked my gentle bucks into hitting her, and they never hit anybody!

Tigerlily has been much calmer this year, and I'm really, really hoping she'll bless us with healthy twin bucklings, carried to term and presented correctly! She's a very athletic goat who loves to hike. She's the only offspring of our beautiful packgoat, Finn, and I really want her to carry Finn's genes on in our herd!

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
Tigerlily is so beautiful!

I'm most looking forward to weaning/selling day this year. With a recent positive Johne's test, the entire kid crop is going to a meat buyer, it will be a lovely instant pay day for the herd, and then I can re-focus on our disease free goals.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Damfino Pretty doe! I'm sorry for the lost kids, how sad :( Fingers crossed she gives you a buck!

@SalteyLove I've been following your thread. So heartbreaking! I hope the goats bring a good price. Hoping the next coming years will do you better!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Thanks! I think she's pretty too, and I love her unusual color! I was really bummed about last year's loss. If Tigerlily had been getting picked on I could have separated her out with some buddies, but unfortunately SHE was the aggressor! It didn't matter which goat I put her with, she'd immediately start a fight, even when there was nothing to fight over! Thank goodness she's being mellow this year.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WE have one like that, too! Thankfully age has calmed her down some. We used to have to separate her into her own pen/stall a few weeks prior to kidding because she’d terrorize the other goats! She is a super hormonal Lamancha, but I love her to bits! Just glad she’s chilled out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oh, I have one! Most of my does already kidded, but my last doe didn't settle until later and isn't due until May, but she's the one I'm most excited about! This will be her second freshening. She had an amazing udder her first freshening last year- capacious, large teats, easy to milk, and she out-produced my third freshener! I don't usually even bother with first fresheners, but this one ended up being my primary milk goat last year.

She is bred to a new buck who I'm also very excited about. The buck's dam is a permanent champion with 21 best of breed wins and 14 best udder awards. His littermate sister also finished her championship recently. I'm so excited for this pairing!

60D67314-2790-479A-8F12-E0FECF084585.jpeg

·
Registered
609 Posts
We are so pleasantly pleased with the crop of kids from our new buck Texas TanMan. He put a lot of color on his kids. There are 3 doelings that really have our attention. Our old doe Annie has a little red and white doeling (she had triplets) that we call Diamond that is so cute and friendly we just have a blast with her. She also gets bottle fed so you can see why she loves attention. Then Annie"s daughter Zoe, (2nd Freshening) has a white and grayish tan doeling that is just so naturally friendly and well made and her markings make her stand out in a crowd, a real cutie. She is a real beauty ! Then last but by far least is a doeling out of Annie's other daughter Lizzie that just blows you away with size and color. She is mostly a light grey almost a sand color with some white mixed in here and there. She is a big frame doeling with length and width to go with the height. And again very friendly. We call her Sandy of course due to her color. We plan on keeping all three doelings as replacements. Annie has had problems with congestion in her udder the past 2 kidding and Ginger is a little smaller in frame and over all size than the kind of goats we want to keep and breed. We will find Annie a good retirement home as she has been the Queen and foundation of our herd. Texas TanMan has some of the old foundation blood lines and we are really excited and looking forward to seeing how these 3 doelings turn out. Good luck to all of you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts