The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older pet doe has a history of being copper deficient, mainly rusty hair and a fishtail. I've bolused 2x year for the last few years, but this last two years she's been on Replamin Plus weekly. I bolused once last year since she was already on the Replamin, but she's looking deficient again - nothing crazy but not shedding out well, some white hairs around the eyes, itchy/flaky skin, beginning of fishtail, and rusty hairs.

I'm nervous to bolus with her having been on Replamin so regularly. I've read that some people combine the two, but does anyone else dose weekly with Replamin long term and still need to bolus? Anyone had issues with toxicity? Any opinions on whether there's a risk of overdosing? Goat is a beloved family pet so I'm always very cautious! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I
My older pet doe has a history of being copper deficient, mainly rusty hair and a fishtail. I've bolused 2x year for the last few years, but this last two years she's been on Replamin Plus weekly. I bolused once last year since she was already on the Replamin, but she's looking deficient again - nothing crazy but not shedding out well, some white hairs around the eyes, itchy/flaky skin, beginning of fishtail, and rusty hairs.

I'm nervous to bolus with her having been on Replamin so regularly. I've read that some people combine the two, but does anyone else dose weekly with Replamin long term and still need to bolus? Anyone had issues with toxicity? Any opinions on whether there's a risk of overdosing? Goat is a beloved family pet so I'm always very cautious! Thanks in advance.
If you're worried about overdosing at least give her a little. You know she needs more copper than the replamin can provide because even with you giving it shes showing signs if deficiency.
Can I ask what loose mineral mix you use?

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Yes you can replamin and bolus. And if she is lookin deficient it will not hurt her... necause her body is showing you that she needs more. Most that do both just end up not needin bolus as frequently. The two things work differently even though they are the same thing if that makes sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - that does make sense. I've always given the 4g bolus in the past. She's 100 lbs. Is that the usual dosage you guys are giving, or should I halve it?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I’ve given 6 grams while giving Replamin every 2 days for 2 weeks with no problems. Of course, this was a heavy correction from well water issues; now I bolus every 3 months and Replamin once weekly. Again, it’s not a problem even that close together. Twice a year minimum if you don’t have well water, but your goats tell you when they need to be bolused. If their condition says bolus you bolus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This summer she's also gotten a new strange whitening/frizziness of her neck hair. Her neck is usually black, and after shedding out it's come in with more white undercoat and frizzy/wavy. Anyone seen this from copper deficiency? I don't know if there's something else going on or if it could just be age - she's 14. In the past I know she's deficient when her hair rusts, but this is new.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
This summer she's also gotten a new strange whitening/frizziness of her neck hair. Her neck is usually black, and after shedding out it's come in with more white undercoat and frizzy/wavy. Anyone seen this from copper deficiency? I don't know if there's something else going on or if it could just be age - she's 14. In the past I know she's deficient when her hair rusts, but this is new.
I can't help you as i've never had this happen but if you get some pics i'm sure that others could.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Sorry I missed this the first time! I use Manna Pro loose goat minerals. Any recommendations for better would be great. I can get this locally and it seems palatable to her.
Manna pro is not very well balanced and requires lots of supplementation.
If you get one of the minerals I recommended then she probably won't need so much.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Wonderful, I'm going to see if my feed store can order either of those.
Tsc should be able to order the purina wind and rain, storm.
The sweetlix imo is better than the purina but if purina is all you can get thats definitely better than mannapro. If you choose to get sweetlix meatmaker make sure to get unmedicated.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Any recommendations for better would be great. I can get this locally
We can often give better advice on this question if we know where "locally" is, because this country varies greatly in mineral offerings and needs.
frizziness of her neck hair.
That's probably copper, but if I had a picture I could tell more accurately. Age is probably a factor here. Really cool you are caring for such an old pet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts