The Goat Spot Forum banner

Who here does Replamin PLUS bolus?

2K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  mariarose 
#1 ·
My older pet doe has a history of being copper deficient, mainly rusty hair and a fishtail. I've bolused 2x year for the last few years, but this last two years she's been on Replamin Plus weekly. I bolused once last year since she was already on the Replamin, but she's looking deficient again - nothing crazy but not shedding out well, some white hairs around the eyes, itchy/flaky skin, beginning of fishtail, and rusty hairs.

I'm nervous to bolus with her having been on Replamin so regularly. I've read that some people combine the two, but does anyone else dose weekly with Replamin long term and still need to bolus? Anyone had issues with toxicity? Any opinions on whether there's a risk of overdosing? Goat is a beloved family pet so I'm always very cautious! Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
I’ve given 6 grams while giving Replamin every 2 days for 2 weeks with no problems. Of course, this was a heavy correction from well water issues; now I bolus every 3 months and Replamin once weekly. Again, it’s not a problem even that close together. Twice a year minimum if you don’t have well water, but your goats tell you when they need to be bolused. If their condition says bolus you bolus.

#14 ·
This summer she's also gotten a new strange whitening/frizziness of her neck hair. Her neck is usually black, and after shedding out it's come in with more white undercoat and frizzy/wavy. Anyone seen this from copper deficiency? I don't know if there's something else going on or if it could just be age - she's 14. In the past I know she's deficient when her hair rusts, but this is new.

#25 ·
Also including a couple showing what looks like her usual copper deficient look - rusting coat and fishtail.

I had her up at the excellent vet school nearby last month and asked them what the lifespan of a healthy pet goat was, and the consensus was 20 - I really hope that's the case! Had her since she was a 3 wk old orphan. Lost her sister to a case of feed room break in bloat, but got this one to surgery just in time. She has a big ring on her horns from that ordeal, but otherwise has been happy and healthy and knock on wood, not much in the way of stiffness or arthritis yet.

Attachments

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
I doubt you could get the Supreme anywhere close to you, because it is very regional, but at the end of this comment, I'll give you a link to it so you can at least compare it to what you have locally available.

This
https://www.southernstates.com/cata...gory=horse-livestock+livestock+livestock-feed is what I had in mind for your girl if they'll order it for you, and a sea salt lick, such as Redmond and Trophy Rock. TSC will carry that for me, I don't know for certain what you have.

When you say that you go to NY to buy things, I'm taking that to mean you live in Canada. We have a few other Canadian members and they've had some trouble finding minerals and salts. You are lucky in living close to the States for that reason, if for no other.

Here's the Supreme that was mentioned to you.
http://www.co-opfeeds.com/ourcoop08/feeds/products/goat/productDetail.aspx?fm=73

#32 · (Edited)
#36 ·
Honestly, the rusty coat color is in the wrong places for me to say that it’s copper deficiency. Also, she looks very similar to two of my goats(dam and daughter) who were born with that rust in their coat-that’s just their natural color.

#38 ·
I just wanted to give an update for all the people that helped out with their experiences: about 6 weeks after I gave the copper bolus, goat is looking shiny and smooth, still some old red in coat but new hair has grown in darker and sleeker. She's also put on a little weight and has an extra spring in her step, so copper seems to have been at least a big part of the puzzle for her. Thank you! Much happier with her going into winter looking like this, so it's going to be a bolus every 6 months now. Thank you!

#39 ·
You will do what you want, but my advice is... again... don't put this on a shedule. When she stops improving, give another bolus. Look at your goat, and give them what they need, no schedule needed. Waiting as she goes backwards, nonsensical.
I agree with @SalteyLove (as always!) that's a copper deficient goat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.