The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, surprise a doe kidded today and im at work. Hubby seen them and said one isnt doing well, but he is not a goat person so he dried them off a bit and got them in the barn. so.... i thought this doe was open, she has been skinny so has been getting extra but figured its because she lets her kids nurse on occasion. I even felt her today and let her out in the yard before i left for some extra forage.
anyways, im not sure who the buck is now.
so i wrote down all the bucks got out on August 6th
the buckling got out on the 28th. i wrote panga was in heat the 27th. so aug 6th would be dec 29th and
August 29th would be jan 21st. sooo....
the good news is the buckling was the one getting out all the time and he has blue eyes and is blk and the bucks only got out twice.

im thinking no way she could of been bred on the 6th.
and if one has blue eyes then its the buckling but not sure if i will be that lucky.he is blk and all the kids are blk but so is the doe....

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, one was dead, other two not so great, but he did bring one in the house an hour before I got home. They are just too tiny and couldn’t keep body heat, put them near the stove while I tried to find some colostrum. I used most of it with these other bottle babies, so I found really old colostrum and 48 hr so mixed together, by the time I did that they were getting warmed up and trying to stand, they are at most a pound, took a bit but they are feeding great. Right now they are in a bin near the stove, will turn on heating pad at night and feed thru the night, mom was calling them but we shall see if she has any milk tomorrow. I put her with the older bottle kids and she calmed down.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2am feeding, doing well wanted a lot less so I think we are doing good, doeling ate 13 cc maybe 12 and buckling ate 6 Maybe 5. Using a syringe since the colostrum has small chunks making it not work thru the bottle. Will change back as soon as it’s gone,Not really sure if I should worry about over feeding at less then 24 hrs old, I’m not going too, they have a tiny belly going yay, thinking all be able to feed every two hours 5 cc or less depending on belly/activity.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
little update- both are doing great. My hubby accidently turned my alarm off this morning when he turned his off soooo i was late to work. something about waking up every three hours to feed, i didnt realize it was getting light outside....ok actually i was three minutes early, but i ran around trying to feed everyone. Dam was still calling when she heard me,but i didnt have time, she didnt have much of an udder when i took a feel this morning. i will put them on her tonight and see if it would help. too small to stay outside but i get home relatively early right now....
Doeling has blue eyes so little buckling is the sire. neither have teeth yet. still wobbly when standing but can stand and try to walk.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts