The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this will be my first time with kidding. I have 3 does due in 7 weeks. They are registered ND and I plan on selling the babies. Of course I am sure I will get suckered into saving something, hehe.
My question is do you the breeder choose the papered name and then let the new owners give a barn name or do you just let the new owner pick the registered name as well.
I am thinking on the wethers it probably does not matter however it may be nice on does that you sell. Just one of my thousands of questions as a newbie:-D
And if you do choose the name then do you register the kid before selling?
Thanks all

·
Haley
1,554 Posts
Those I know usually give them a barn name for the time being, but let the new owners change the barn name after getting them. The registered name is up to you if you're registering the kids prior to selling.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Some people will choose to give the kids a registered name to prevent any goats with their herdname being registered with silly names. Some people just sell the kid with the name blank on the application except for the herdname written in.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have done both. Goats I REALLY like I name on the registrations. If someone asks to keep the name blank so they can choose s name I will occasionally do that. However, I do a name theme every year to keep up with who is born what year and so on, I prefer to name them myself as the new owners can call them whatever they want.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I register before (or when) selling because I have seen too many goats being rehomed unregistered because the buyer forgot to send in the papers. Registered goats have better odds of finding a good home if they have to get rehomed. Registries can provide a duplicate if the goat is registered. The registration "looks" important enough not to lose; it has the birth date, breeder, and pedigree. Sometimes comes in handy having that.

If I lose a buyer over the $15, how well would they have cared for the goat, anyway?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
We got to name them (their registered names) last year when We got Silvie and Molly. My husband wanted Silver Linings for one of them, and the breeder goofed the spelling when registering them online that day (so Silive is registered as Silver Lingings instead of Silver Linings). Molly was named Molly McGuire because we purchased and picked them up on St. Patty's Day.

If I let people pick the name, I do more of a " this is the first choice and second choice name we had for Studly Dudley over there. Which would you prefer to be the first choice?". I chose the names for our two bucklings last year. Cactus Acres Moon Shadow and Cactus Acres Prairie Sunrise. We kept one boy (Moon Shadow)and sold the other. I mailed in his registration along with Shady boy's, as there was a service memo involved and I wanted to be sure both got properly registered. Their papers arrived the day I sold Sunny, so I was able to hand him and his papers off to the new owner.

·
Registered
207 Posts
We try to do the same fist letter as the mom naming kids we aren't keeping. So i am planning on naming them. For example we have a goat named Glory we aren't keeping her babies so if she has a girl she will be named Gloria.

I do have a question we have a Doe named Gem (Glory's half sister) and we are keeping her baby girl if she has one. Our farm name is "Pinewood valley" so can i name her "Pinewood Valley's Sapphire"? (Her moms name is "pond-acres rush gem"

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
That's my plan too, except with 14 does from other breeders I have some duplicate letters. Still haven't decided what to do about that...

·
Super Moderator
58,182 Posts
I do have a question we have a Doe named Gem (Glory's half sister) and we are keeping her baby girl if she has one. Our farm name is "Pinewood valley" so can i name her "Pinewood Valley's Sapphire"? (Her moms name is "pond-acres rush gem"
There is a limit of 35 characters which includes spaces. But yes you can do that if you have your farm name registered as your herd name.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
If I know I am selling the kids either before or at weaning I let the new owners name them. On the application I fill in the farm name and the sire and dams initial of their registered name (LOC for Lord of Chaos or T for Tedi so the kid would be DLF LOC T and then the name)

If I plan on keeping him/her or he/she doesn't sell right off and I register them, I name them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts