Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 7 goats.
1 buck-Boer
1 alpine doe (yearling)
2 100% Nubian does (4 yrs old)
1 mutt (dairy boer, cross)
2 boer does, don't plain to breed till spring or next year.

I have access to a 100% Nubian buck, stud fee is $20, I have to go get him and take him home.. probably $15 in fuel depends on what I drive
I also believe another friend has a alpine buck, but haven't been able to go over and ask him about the fee.

I really don't think my buck will have the guts to breed the big girls, he is afraid of them!! I do plan to use him on my mutt though, they get along nicey, and maybe even on the alpine..
He really wants to get in with the boers but I want to wait till they put on more weight.
What do you guys think ? What would be the better option ?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i would try to keep the breeds pure, that way you could get soime knd of registration on the off spring and they will be worth more. just my opinion.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are not registered, I am the third owner and the 1st never gave the second the papers. So they are but I have no access to it.
I can also buy the buck in question. For $100, he was register able, but I would not have access as the same thing happened to him.

I also plan on putting a weather in the freezer if one does not sell, I badly want to try the meat!

I really want a Boer herd, who are all registered.. the 4 dairy girls I picked up for $50 a piece, and where all extremely close to my house. I figure I can make a profit on them,(allowing me to go buy a more expensive registered boer) I believe I will be keeping the alpine forever, (my hubby fell in love with her) I like the idea of having a milk goat and access to milk, if I need to bottle raise a baby atleast it will be on goats milk. But I guess it depends on how the milk tastes from the different breeds.
I can also pick up bottle babies for $25 I would be able to get more if I could use my own milk on them.
About 20 miles away there is a farm that raises registered Boer's around $200 a piece. I hope I will be able to snatch one or two up after I sell babies.

Around here Nubian's with out papers still sale for $100-$200 as babies. Alpines seem to be the same, as do Boer's. Meat prices are $2 a pound.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Maybe breed the Nubian buck to your Nubian girls and your Boer buck to the rest you want to breed. Then you have some choices and can see how the kids sell.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
If you're wanting to focus more on the meat side of things, i'd breed them to the boer. If you're looking to make a profit on the nubians...you'll have better luck selling full nubians then crosses most likely. So like Karen said, maybe breed the nubian to the nubian does and the boer to the others.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I would use your boer buck on all, if you want to do that. The girls are being mean to him because he is a kid, trying to ride them, in which, they are not in season and will act that way. When they are in full standing heat, they will allow him around them with no issues.

The only thing is, if the boar buck is not registered Fullblood boer, you won't be able to register the offspring at all. If you have a FB registered boer buck and bred them to any of your Does, the offspring will be registered 50%, then, if you keep some offspring, their kids when bred, will be 75% and so on, until they reach Purebred status. Keep in mind, they will never be Fullblood boer.

You could invest in a really good FB registered buck to breed all your Does or rent FB registered buck. Depending which is cheaper. If you want more FB registered Doe's, buy one FB registered Doe a year or more if the option is there. That is bettering your herd. A good goal. But only keep the best of the best of your offspring.
Remember, it is your buck that makes your herd, so invest in the best FB Boer registered buck, as you can afford at the time. Always work up to better if possible.

Sell some non registered Doe's or registered percentages ect and replace them with a FB registered Doe or buck if you need one at that time. The offspring cannot be bred to their Sire, so, having 2 bucks, if you have a good size herd, helps, to split them up, when the kids are old enough to breed. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts