Who would you keep (pics included) ??

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by CapriGem, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Laurel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buttercup

100.0%
  1. CapriGem

CapriGem Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Western PA
    Dam is my doe Maplewood Hill Top Gilded Lily. She earned her dry leg last summer.

Sire is Dill's BF Emerson Drive, his dam (SGCH Dill's XM Keena *M) has earned her milk star, permanent Champion, and Superior Genetics designation from ADGA.

Lily had two doelings. They are almost 2 weeks old. I will be retaining one.

My question to you is... which would you keep?

CapriGem EM Buttercup

[​IMG]

CapriGem EM Laurel

[​IMG]

I appreciate any honest feedback :)

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is soooooo hard to tell with babies! But, Laurel actually appears to be longer in body and a nicer brisket extension

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I think you are right, Liz-it is hard to tell with kids-but Laurel was the one I voted for-for those reasons exactly! Maybe I am finally getting this goat conformation thing....or maybe not...who knows! Cute babies regardless-I would say a hard decision too-they are both nice! :stars:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I actually don't think Laurel is longer in body, to me I think the photo at that angle makes her look longer at first glance, but if you closely at her withers to tail, she looks to be about the same length as Buttercup, in my opinion.

I think Buttercup has better rear leg angulation than Laurel. But I think Laurel has the better topline. I think Laurel is going to be a little sharper than Buttercup as an adult.

Both does are very nice. I'm honestly torn...I need more photos before I can vote. Lol. Maybe i'll come back later and make up my mind. Lol.

5. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    It is so hard for me to tell with kids that young...but I would choose Laurel from those photos. I like her topline better, and I have a thing for really level toplines. I also agree that she looks like she will be sharper....just more dairy and angular in general. I also agree about the brisket.

6. CapriGem

CapriGem Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Western PA
    In person Laurel does seem to have a little more length of body.

I will get a side by side pic in a few minutes.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hmmm...well, if she does indeed have a little more length, then I think she'd be my choice. She has a little more going for her than Buttercup.

8. CapriGem

CapriGem Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Western PA
    Here ia a pic of both, the day they were born.

[​IMG]

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They are adorable....I'd pick both... LOL :wink:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i like laurels coloring...lol hehe

11. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I vote for Laurel, too. The dairy character, level topline and overall extension would lead me to keep her.

12. nigerianmeadows

nigerianmeadows New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    North Carolina
    I would vote Laural, though I'm not very experienced. She has everything I have learned to look for. I love Buttercups coloring, and am trying not to be swayed by it, lol! Really, though, they both look nice, laural just has that "look" of dairy.

13. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I like, everyone else am swayed by Laurels coloring. But more pics would be nice. I like the rump on Buttercup. It looks wider and longer than Laurels. But Laurel looks like she has more chest area. These thiings can all be deceaving in pics.

14. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    just from who i think has nicer coloring (I know nothing about conformation) I'd say buttercup :) I've always wanted a golden goat ;)