whole goat milk ricotta

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by morganslil1, Dec 15, 2007.

1. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    1 gal goat milk
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    3 tbl spoons melted butter
    1/2 tsp baking soda

heat the milk to 206 degrees F stir in vinegar.The milk will coagulate.Drain the curd into a cheese cloth lined colander and drain for a minute.Place the curds in a bowl mix in the butter and baking soda.Mix well. Place in a covered dish and refrigerate until ready for use. This is excellent for cooking.
  2. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    I printed this recipe. It is definitely a "must try". How much cheese is made using a gallon of milk?

3. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    Up to 2 lbs per gallon.
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Try doing mozzarella before hand, then use the whey to get your ricotta...2 birds with one stone! 2 1/2 gallons of milk and 2# mozzarella and 1 1/2 # ricotta.
  5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm not a goat cheese fan(love the milk though) my mom makes the cheese. My dad and brother's say though that they like the taste of the mozzarella ricotta better than the regular ricotta recipe.
  6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It has a sweet nutty flavor to it....great with fresh, sweet peaches!
  7. FoothillCountryFarm

FoothillCountryFarm New Member

May 10, 2010
    Penryn, CA
    Just wanted to say thank you to Liz for the great idea of making ricotta from the whey! I'm new to all this so I thought I'd just give it a try using the whey left over from my vinegar farmer's cheese.

It worked GREAT! I love the two birds with one stone idea.... and I'm thrilled that I got a HUGE both a huge batch of farmer's cheese PLUS a bowl of yummy ricotta from whey that I would have just fed to the chickens.

Mmmm.... now what to do with all this cheese! LOL... I'm thinking crepes rolled with ricotta for breakfast... maybe pasta shells stuffed with it for dinner.

Thanks again!

A new happy cheesemaker :clap:
  8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I can't wait to get our nubian doe. :sigh: Is the mozz recipe on here too?

9. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Do you just substitute the mozzarella whey for the ricotta whole milk?
  10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    My mom hasn't made mozz in a very long time, she only made it like 5 times(4 of which were epic fails) but pretty much after the mozz is taken out you just boil the left over whey and strain it, you don't get a lot for how much whey there is but it is really good cheese. There is no prep required, so you don't have to add any extra cultures or anything.
  11. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    you can also use whey to soak grains (such as oatmeal) to maximize the absorbancy of the nutrients and to make it cook like instant oatmeal.