Who's the daddy

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mellee7AcreRanch, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mellee7AcreRanch

Mellee7AcreRanch New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    We have 2 bucks during breeding season they got out with the does and we have kids and more coming is thier any way to know for sure who is my babies daddy LOL. We got a few doelings this time around and would like to breed them to the other buck if possible or even let some of the bucklings be able to mature and move them into the mis. Any help would be appreciated. Can they do a simple blood test or is DNA the only way to be sure. :ponder:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It would be the most accurate... :wink:

3. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I do not have a lot of experience with this in goats but I do in people so I am going to speculate here.

With humans, you can sometimes exclude an individual as a parent by bloodtype due to the variances in human blood types. It only works when the child in question has a blood type that is not compatable with a parent. Example: (2) A+ parents cannot have a child with B or AB blood type. So if the child is AB and the mother is A then the father must be B or AB. It can only exclude and not prove and only works under specific circumstances.

So if goats have the same kind of variences in blood type (I do not know) then it may be possible to determine from blood type alone.

DNA test are nto that expensive and the blood typing may cost you almost as much for no result.

4. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    another thing you could try in the future (future breedings) is those marker harnesses that they sell.... I'm not sure if they work but the theory behind them seems pretty good..... good luck figuring that out!

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I'm not 100% positive, but I believe a doe could be pregnant by two (or more) different bucks! Since she releases multiple eggs, each individual egg could in theory be fertilized by the sperm of whatever buck (or bucks) that bred with her during that time. So, if both got her around the same time....could be more than one daddy for each kid born to the same doe. :p

6. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    We went through this... You can have a DNA test done on the kids. The one we used was through ADGA and was a hair folicle test.... The good news - if there are only 2 possible sires, only test one and you will get a 'yes he is' or 'no he isn't' answer. Test the kids that you want to register, and the others I wouldn't worry about. I think it was around $30 per test. ADGA keeps the DNA info on file for the animals that you test, so you won't have to have them tested again. Don't know about blood tests. Good luck!