The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been doing some research on my unregistered buck, and I think I've tracked down his parents - or at least the herd he's from, Reuel Dairy Goats. He carries a rare dominant blond gene which one of their older lines has. The probably dam is Zina's JJ Zadee - no photos available but she was blond, and threw blond kids. I believe his sire is Remuda Winter Constellation. Aside from the coloring they look very similar; Cedar has his white feet and also throws recessive solid ears which Conner carries as well. What do you think?

Attachments

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long story lol. My friend mentioned Reuel because they have the blond genetics, and based on who I bought him from, and where they got him, and who Reuel was selling to, it seems like a good likelihood, but I can't actually prove it without a DNA test.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
Hmmm... would a dna test be pricey? :) I had a blonde buckling but sadly, he died...he was really cute though, and his dad was HUGE....His name was Bandalero, (the daddy)he was also unregistered.This is our lil Oscar before he got sick....

Attachments

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$27 per animal - so I'd need to test Cedar as well as both parents. I could easily make that up with breeding fees though if I got papers.

Your boy was cute! One of my does that Cedar's bred to is spotted, so I could get one that looks like that :) Last year she threw a spotted buckling that was a darker red instead of blond.

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
Does your buck have tattoos? I guess i'm not following how you came to the conclusion that that buck is likely the sire to your buck?

If he's unregistered, there's no telling where he's from unless the seller gave you info. on that. Usually breeders with registered stock don't sell intact bucks without papers.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like I said, it's a long story. No tattoo - I believe he was sold as pet/meat very young and was supposed to get banded but didn't.

I believe Conner is the sire because Reuel was using him heavily at the time, and Cedar looks like him. Like I said the color is rare so there's a good chance of those genes coming from Reuel's herd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts