Why are ND's and Boers more popular?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NyGoatMom, Jan 27, 2013.

1. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Well for now, I am happy with my 2 nubians, my one kinder, one Pygmy and one Boer...LOL....They are all adorable. Even Booker with his flipped ears...:love:

I did meet a woman who raises Registered ND's.....her buck was beautiful, he had longish hair and was a pretty blondish red color.

2. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    :eek:I'm glad i read this i get my lamancha in feb and she will be in milk and my milk stand is built for nigerians...oh i see a huge problem here:hair:

3. NyGoatMom

LOL.....glad to be of help :)

4. TwistedKat

TwistedKat New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Devin, too funny, I have the opposite eating pattern, my Nubian doe is a pig disguised as a goat... nom nom nom all day long. My ND's are dainty little munches and would rather get into mischief than eat.

After reading each response I wonder how much is region based? Here in the PNW we have a pretty good mix of all kinds of goats.

5. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    A lot of the selection does have to do with the region you're in, that's a known fact. In Texas, you wouldn't want a goat that can't handle heat waves, and in Wisconsin, I wouldn't want a goat that can't handle the cold!

As for crossing:
    Dairy x Dairy
    Enter any given breed on either side. For example breeding a Saanen and Alpine. Several reasons. To raise the butterfat, add some interesting color, and add a little sass. Most crosses are done because of milk components (fat, protein, merit, poundage, etc)

Meat x Dairy
    Again enter any breed of each. For example Boer covering a Saanen. This pairing would make a great dual purpose goat. You'd have the ability to use the bucklings as a great lean muscle goat with high gain, and use the doelings for milk or meat, whatever. This particular pairing usually stays tall, but it stretches (visualize please) the Boer breed out to appear longer, leaner, wider.

6. NyGoatMom

Ok, that makes sense....raising butterfat etc...I like the adding "sass"part! I love the individuality of goats colorations.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I started with fiber goats, actually. Cashmere. Beautiful goat, but a little wild. We got the Nigerians, because DH heard about them. I went along because they are cute. Mine milk pretty well. I have a friend with a Nubian doe, and while she milks very easy, she milks about 5lbs/day, on average. I have Nigerians that milk that much, for half the feed cost.

8. NyGoatMom

Wow, ND's giving you that much is good! I don't know myself what Heidi gives,just that her previous owner said ....a gallon a day. We'll see this spring, I hope!!

9. alpine_fan

alpine_fan herd: 2 billies 9 nannies ~ 1 doe expecting ~ 2 we

I started with just the standard size cause we had a mini goat in the past that caused us a lot of problems & money
    We got Toggs mainly, with a couple alpines and Nubians (I'd prefer just the alpines myself :p )
    But since my entire family is close to 6' tall it's a pain for us to have to bend way down when moving our kids - wouldn't want to do that to move the full grown does and bucks too...

Though I do want a pygora... :s

10. honeymeadows

honeymeadows Honey Meadows Farm

Nov 20, 2012
    New Jersey
    I chose Nigerians as a primary breed because from a farm business standpoint, I have limited carrying capacity (18 acres) and want to be able to maximize farm revenues while supporting the goats on my land. Simply put, I can have more Nigerians in the same place grazing and eating my hay as full size goats, and thereby sell more youngstock. I have Lamanchas, but boy do they eat a lot more! Then again, for serious milk, we turn to the Lamanchas. I love both breeds for their sweet temperaments.

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I know it was hard to find a good registered Alpine buck in NE OH. I ended up driving 300+ miles to get a buckling that I won't be able to use until
    next yr. I do have a good buck, but he is related to alot of the Alpines as his breeder is a very popular Alpine person. Alpine and ND's are
    big in my area, Nubians and Saanens are next to impossible to find. (I picked up 2 great Saanen does in Southern OH when I got the Alpine buckling).

I will have Alpine x Saanen kids, I don't want another buck just to use on the Saanens, 2 bucks is way more than enough!

12. neubunny

neubunny New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Michigan
    Most of our crossbreds were exactly because we only brought in one buck to breed everything -- breeding mainly to get the does in milk.

Breeding your dairy doe to a meat breed will put the doe in milk and let you use the kids for meat.

This year we are doing lots of angora crosses. One girl (club herd) really wants fiber goats but had very bad luck with them. Talking to other local angora breeders they recommend she try the pygoras because they tend to be hardier (at least in our area, where the grade angoras are getting inbred unless you can afford to import stock from out of state) -- and because we can disbud the crossbreds to more easily run with our mixed flock (their fur isn't as dense, so they don't have the overheating problems - and for our 4H fair crossbred fiber goats can show dehorned while angoras only with horns). She managed to get her hands on a gorgeous registered light chocolate angora buck, so we (whole club herd) bred everything to him.

13. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    Ugh I see where your coming from. All I can find around here is either Boers, Nigerian Dwarfs, or Mini Nigerian standard crosses. The most popular standards are the Nubians. If I do find a purebred of another breed they are normally of poor quality. Though there are a few very good goat breeders here its rare you can get a goat from them since they are so back ordered.

14. NyGoatMom

I can understand that very well.....my oldest son is 6' 7"....:p

15. NyGoatMom

This may sound harsh, but so far I have not been extremely impressed with a few things I have seen when buying my goats. It seems people around here throw around the term "purebred" loosely....that bothers me. Either it is....or it isn't but don't say it is when it's not. I can see the need for papers.....

Another thing,people around here seem to neglect hooves a lot....that drives me nuts...

and a few places I went....were soooo poorly kept....really dirty ... one place was so bad, there were dead turkeys in a pen, and we had to walk OVER trash to see her goats. The barn was full of garbage and junk(no lighting either,pitch black)....needless to say, I foolishly tried to "rescue" a buckling from there and of course he did not make it. :( She had a calf that was covered in poop,....it was awful....my daughter was so mad when we left there....me too but I tried to tell her we can't take them all...sadly!Frankly,it was overwhelmingly dirty and messy and she had WAY more room than me! She had broken fencing the goats just walked over, but I'm surprised they didn't get tangled in it....anyway, sickening....

16. caprine crazy

caprine crazy Boer Lover 4 Life!

Jun 12, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I don't think new breeders realize all the care and keeping that is needed to put into a goat. That is why I think a lot of places look unsanitary and gross. That is why we are here, to help people and their goats live a healthier life.

17. NyGoatMom

True, but she wasn't new to it......:( She has a meat goat business....and sells chickenn and eggs too.....uhhh, no thanks, I'm not hungry! :sick:

18. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    To answer the original question: I have no idea. I got some Lamanchas about 5 years ago and have no desire to own any other type of goat EVER again :)

19. NyGoatMom

?? why not?

20. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC

Because LaMancha's are an amazing breed that will win your heart. They've got mine.