Why are ND's and Boers more popular?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NyGoatMom, Jan 27, 2013.

1. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

They are cute,for sure :)

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    They are affectionate, easy-going, docile, very easy to train, hardy, have long, level lactations, delicious milk, etc...They also carry more flesh than Swiss breeds so they are good for meat too if that's something that interests you...I personally have not been able to bring myself to eat one. :)

I honestly think Lamanchas would be the most popular breed if folks didn't get hung up on the ear thing...LOL. They are truly a pleasure to work with! :)

3. NyGoatMom

I almost got a Lamancha originally but I decided against it because I worried about ear infections.....I just thought they probably have a hard time keeping rain out of their ears....do they have problems with them?

4. Abra

Abra Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I only have 2 does, and I purchased them because up here, a decent milk goat is VERY hard to find.
    They are sisters, and have the same mom, but different fathers.
    One is 75% Oberhalsi, and 25% Alpine, and the other is 25% Alpine, 25% Oberhalsi, and 50% Saanen.
    I Looooooove the Oberhalsi breed, and have spent a LONG time trying to find a buck to breed to, but apparently, there isn't a single one in Alaska, so I decided to breed my Saanen mix (Delilah) to a gorgeous pure bred, registered Alpine buck, and my Oberhalsi mix (Chloe) to a 50% Oberhalsi and 50% Nubian mixed buck whose parents came from VERY prolific milking lines. I will only be keeping doelings if Chloe gives me doe kids. Otherwise, they are all going to be sold.

That said.....
    I LOVE my mutts! :)
    My ideal goat would be 50% Oberhalsi, 25% Saanen, and 25% Nubian. Why? Well, the way I figured it, this should give me the "sweetness" of the milk that the Oberhalsi's are known for (and Chloe's milk is DIVINE!) as well as the ability to be able to milk the doe for a number of years instead of breeding her every season (another thing the Oberhalsi breed is known for). It should also give me the higher cream of the Nubian, and the higher milk production of the Saanen.
    But that's just me. :)

5. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    Ideal is not probable, but I am so with you on picking a "custom" goat mix with the best of all the breeds.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    No, I have never had one get an ear infection...and mine all have gopher ears (the smallest type of ear). Every once in a while I will notice some crusty, waxy buildup around the ear canal...I just clean it off and all is well. It's probably the same stuff that discharges from all goat ears but you just don't notice on eared goats.

7. NyGoatMom

I hope you get a doe with all the best traits! :cowboy: Around here we have mostly the Boers and ND's available, so that's why this thread to begin with.
    I'm anxious to see the results I'll get crossing my buck(see siggy) with my Nubian girl . We are hoping for a stockier meat goat from the boys and the girls will be sold.I already know Heidi produces roughly a gallon a day, and Daisy Mae was supposedly from good milkers, so we'll see, but for her I'll have to wait until next spring since I could not bear the thought of breeding her at less than a year, I opted to wait~so right now I am hoping my Kinder is bred and Heidi, both to my buck~Should be some interesting outcomes!

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I really like the Boer/kiko cross, and a lot of people seem to be going that route in our area.

I really wish that the Kiko were more popular as a breed though, especially at the county fairs, because if the kids could show Kiko's, I certainly would consider switching to kikos....they just seem hardier than Boers IMO.
    Feet alone... Compared to the Boers and other Boer percentages... I have to trim their feet every 4-5 weeks or they get really long. I could go 8 weeks on our kiko doe. In fact, I think I trimmed her at 2 1/2 maybe close to 3 months pregnant, and didn't trim her again until Sunday...when her kids were 2 weeks old & she went to day 152 in pregnancy. Yes, I would lift a foot to check her, but didn't want to stress her out <her belly was so HUGE>.
    The only reason I even had to trim her was because I trimmed everyone else.

But, since Boer's rule at the county fairs, we'll stick with percentage boers, with a fullblood or two in the mix. If we had a larger place with more pasturing, we'd most likely have a few more fullbloods. We just really do like the percentages...

9. NyGoatMom

That's good to know....I was a bit "on the spot" when choosing as she had some of almost everything!

10. NyGoatMom

Do you think that is breed specific, or just her?

11. Marty1876

Marty1876 New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    First, folks choose whats available. So far I've owned Saanans, Nubians, LaManchas, and now Nigerian Dwarfs.

I love my Nigerian Dwarfs, honestly. I knew enough to purchase all buy 1 of them from very milk heavy lines. I expect 1/2 gal from first freshoners, and to get more is the norm, but only from milkers from star milker lines, or other lines you have personally varified are milking out beyond 4 monthes this way.

My NDs don't outproduce the Saanan, who outmilked everyone with 5 quarts a day 6 monthes a year. I just stopped milking at 6 monthes, but she could have kept milking. She was a very sweet and calm doe. My LaManchas were very quiet and affectiionate, and if I wanted a bigger goat, I'd go with them. My Nubian was the most difficult to milk and deal with, even though I loved her personality the best of the large breeds. She was a character, while others were more docile.

I have choose NDs since I have 2 acres, and want to keep goats, but more for the space. ND's also produce 2-5 babies pretty often. Ava has quads everytime time so far. Mine are all registered, and I see most income from the sales of my kids. I work hard to produce show/milk stock, and every new purchase is made with that in mind, better show goats that have even better milk lines, and higher star numbers. Good sales of doelings and a few bucks, and the rest are still quite tasty.

My NDs eat much less. I've sold some NDs, making room for 3 new doelings from even better stock. Right now my two does eat 2 flakes of hay, or about 1 bale of hay a week, and Avas using about 3-4 cups of food on the milkstand per day. One is pregnant (I think) and the others our milker. I LOVE that I can time breedings to ensure constant milk supply.

I also love NDs higher fat quantity. I make cheese, yogurt, butter, ice cream, and we drink milk. I truly get more return volume in cheeses with ND milk than froom LaMancha, Nubian, or Saanans. For the amount I used to keep two full sized goats, I can easily keep 5 NDs.

I suppose folks keep boars for their size. I know ND wethers aren't big meat producers, but it's still tasty and available. I limit how long any newborn stays. After I have 8 goats, somebody leaves or gets replace, or eaten (extra wethers) withen 6-8 monthes. My goats are all NDGA, AGS, ADGA registered. I feel the need to prove my genetics, and purity. Registery usage increases animal value, and buyer confidence.

12. ogfabby

ogfabby New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    I know a lot of people will cross boers in with dairy because boers have an incredibly high milk fat content as well.

13. KymberLeAnn

KymberLeAnn New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Yacolt WA
    I have also heard the the Kiko has better feet than boers. I've considered getting kiko crosses for my herd instead of Fullblood boer for this specific reason.
    I have a terrible time with my Boers feet.

14. NyGoatMom

Thanks for the detailed post. Sounds like those little ND's have a lot going for them.The future may hold some ND's for me as well, who knows??I can only hope to get enough milk for cheeses,drinking,etc for my family this year from my one Nubian. I may try to milk my Kinder but....man she's gonna be difficult. (personality wise ;-)

15. aceofspades

aceofspades New Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I have both nigerian dwarfs and Nubians I would love a lamancha but am having trouble finding one in my area.

The ND's have a lot of color and personality there just fun to have around and give great quality milk.

The Nubians are also great milkers and are a gentile giant. We love all the milk breeds wish I could fined some different ones on my area

16. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    I wish they made ND's in standard size. I love their color and blue eyes but I'm just not a small animal person. I don't like small dogs, small horse breeds or small goats simply for the specific reason they are small. I'm also afraid of human babies so I don't know what my issue with small things is.

17. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    Same here... if they made nigies in a bigger size I'd have one. But I like big animals. However I do love babies... human and animal. Human babies make me nervous though where as animal babies are easy and comfortable. Is that wrong??

18. DaisyMayFarm

DaisyMayFarm New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    North Florida, USA
    LOTS of Boer, Pigmy and NDs here. Nubians are pretty popular too; there's a nice breeder about 30 minutes from me. Can't hardly find Toggs, Alpines or LaManchas. I got incredibly lucky finding my girl, and my (hopefully if it's a girl!) bottle baby is being born on a farm about 2 1/2 hours from me.

19. NyGoatMom

I think I need one of every breed....lol....you know, to compare ;)
    Then there's a lot of colors too....hmmmmm....:D

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I can just see your hubby's expression when you explain why you need all the different pens and compartments in the Garage. Reason being, the yard is over flowing with goat specimens:D.