Why can't people understand?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatshows, May 1, 2009.

1. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    Why cant people understand that farm animals to some people are the same as a dog? That because we are farmers we are not dumb and under educated? Why cant people treat farm animals the same as they would treat a dog or even a family member? Why cant neighbors be understanding and love the things we do instead of treat us badly and other things?

Sometimes I just dont under stand people in this world. We should just go on with our lives and not judge people and treat everyone and everything like they were family or thier own.

Sorry just had to vent.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some people are just plain cruel.... and we just have to ignore them.......if they ever had the chance to have a goat...they would understand how much we love them.....hey.... they are the ones missing out.....not you.....Goats are like pets....they give love back... and are so sweet..... :wink: :hug: I can't blame you for being upset with those people... :hug:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh trust me - I know exactly how you feel - and with summer coming it becomes worse, as all the "snow birds" come back and live below me and they hate my farm!

Hang in there :hug:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ditto. well said, pam.

5. Candy

Candy New Member

Rebecca, I think that GOD gave some of us the very special gift of being able to relate to and love our animals. I just pity those that don't have that gift. I feel very special because I have that ability and pray for those that don't. :pray:
    Candy :sun:

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Unfortunately, I have found since getting my goats that"we goat people" are stero-typed.....I was born and raised a big city girl, we moved 5yrs ago to our farm and I love it! I love my goats and chickens and I Just really don't care what people think of me.......I have not been to a mall or put on a dress since leaving the city andnever been happier, I love my boots, jeans and nasty jacket with muddy hoof prints on it. I even have quit talking to some of my city friends because I got tired of the goat jokes....I could spend the rest of my life with my animals only and be as happy as can be...my hubby always says animals are better than people. No one but us " goat people" know the love of a goat!

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks Katrina.... :hug:

8. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I feel lucky to have access to my daughter's goats at the school farm, since we aren't zoned for animals other than traditional pets. (I'm over the limit with cats, but we won't tell anyone, right? :wink: ) When and if we get land, I'll have goats and chickens and who knows what else? Having them around would make life more full.

Getting to know goats has been an amazing experience. One night last March was the first kidding I'd ever seen. Unfortunately, those little ones were born far too early. I had the honor of holding one of the tiny kids in my arms as he tried to breathe his first breath. That changed me as a person.

I'm sorry for those folks who don't get it. They're missing out on some very special aspects of life.

Anna

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Sadly, some people just dont care the way others do. Animals dont have a choice of who they end up with, and some of them end up with the not so good life. i dont get how these peoples minds work. If youre not going to care then why care to own the animal?
    Still others think they are doing the right thing, and then things get out of control and the animals are the ones suffering. People get too many animals and its not healthy for the animals and then people.
    beth

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I don't understand most people. I have talked to people who spend hundreds of dollars on an ugly dress for one night at a friend's wedding but can't understand why I would spend the same amount on a goat/dog/etc, which will last longer and give me more pleasure.

I also get the , but you have to take care of them everyday, and how can you take a vacation? Well yes, I get to take care of them everyday and if I am happy at home, why do I have to take a vacation?

I honestly won't expect everyone to love a goat or chicken in their yard, but there should be some respected for what others love. I don't know why someone would want to rip up the land to make a motor cross track, but my neighbor down the road did and if it makes them happy, so be it.

On the up side, my sister now loves goats. She has to say "hi" to them as soon as she get here. She barely stops in the house first lol. Then she has to go and hold the babies before she leaves.

11. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    To be honest. I almost walked off my job yesturday and this farm. But all I had to do was look at the babies I have been raisen. Me and my hubby talked about it. My husband is nto a goat lover but he understands about how I feel about all these animals.

I have seen to may people abuse and neglect animals. WE have a bunch of babies that have come from homes that where not the best for them. I love every one of these guys and my friends that are not what you call "Goat people" Just do nto understand my love for the animals.

I always tell people that goats are smarter then a dog in m appion. All my babies can walk on a leash and do trick. Most of them are house broken. (Tasha is stilll have a we bit of trouble on that).

With the petting zoo I see a lot of people that really do not have access to animals like we do. SOmetimes give them a small education helps. Most do not know what a goat or a farm animal are really like. Most still think that goats eat tin cans or anything that they can get there little teeth on.

I get a good laugh about the ones that wonder how I can spend money on another goat. WHen sposely I need new boots cause mine is covered in muck. Or how could I wear the jeans that are staned with mud and "other things" (Remind me not to wear my barn jacket to a resturant next time) Or how I can enjoy baby goats jumping up on my back and leaven foot prints in the shape of bruses.

I am I crazy or what. NOPE I amm just a different breed of person!

BTW all my goats go to Pow Wows with me. I sometimes even have one of them in my lap when I drum. They love the attection!

12. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I live 8 miles from the nearest paved road, my lovely neighbor across the street use to be a city girl, when we moved in and brought a rooster oh boy she complained to the town about the noise and how our manure pile (horses at that time) were going to contaminate her well water. we went to the town meeting, said its agriculture zoned we have the right to have that rooster, they agreed, when they asked about the manure pile, we told them her well is up hill from us and across the street behind 75 feet of forest how is it gonna do damage? again they agreed with us
    :cool:
    so us being the nice neighbors that we are are :wink: we went out and got 10 bantum roosters they stayed about 3 weeks before we got sick of them,
    now just to aggrivate I hook my nubian/cross doe out front and let her eat till shes full then course she does let you know shes done and ready to go back to her room :slapfloor: :slapfloor:

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Wow - we are ALOT alike. I do crazy things just to irritate my neighbors down the hill when they start raising havok with me. They even had the nerve to go to the association president and say we were running an "illegal farm" up here - how the heck can you have an illegal farm :shrug: :ROFL: :shrug: :ROFL: The association president laughed at them!

14. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    People like that are why I have a No Farms No Food bumper sticker. :roll:

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Most people believe that farmers think that their animals are "nothing but a number" which is true to most big corperation farmers. Small farmers are usually different. We try to treat all our animals humanely, and with respect. We even love our animals. And sure, we may not think much of one goat, while we attach ourselves to another. It is hard to be a farmer, esspecially if there is a high turn-over, like in a meat-raising farm. You have to be a little more hard nosed about it, and try to keep yourself from becoming attached.

16. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    We have problems with those that move from the city, then get upset because of slow moving combines, horsey and cow smells, and various other country sites and sounds.

Although I do get a big kick out of seeing them stop on the side of the road to take pictures of cows. . . . City folk :shrug:

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey Rebelshope......I was one of those city people that came to the country 5yrs.ago and Yes, when we first moved here I made my husband stop on the side of the road going into our little town so I could take a pic of a calf and momma :greengrin: ! When we first moved here I felt like I was in a different world....I was actually scared to be by myself on the farm :oops: for about the first month....I was use to having neighbors on both sides......now I don't like going back to the city and having people sooooo close.....we just had some city friends out today, they just fell in love with it out here, I told my husband that we now take our country life for granted, it's just HOME!

18. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I grew up just north of Chicago in a suburb. :wink:

I am talking about the city folks that move out of the city, then dislike the normally things found in the country.

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I know what you mean......I love every part of county life, call me crazy but I take joy in moving over for farm equipment! I just love it when the farmers are out in the fields working.....I get excited when the farmer that plants our fields is out here working. I don't even mind the dust on my furniture from it coming through the open windows.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I love country life to... :) ...it is so relaxing ...and you do get use to the livestock aroma's.....LOL.... :wink:
    I know rebelshope...how you feel about the impatient drivers ...when trying to go around tractors and such...I feel that they are in our space ....and we have every right to be slow and just putt around....and when trying to ride a horse .....to relax.....it isn't very nice ....when you have a spooky horse and people go ..way to fast around you on a country road ...some even honk...that's irritating........they should respect you ...and drive around you slowly...
    horses were the way of transportation ....way before the auto......but some don't respect that......it is so sad.....I get exactly where your coming from rebelshope :( :hug: