The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the 2nd day after my doe gave birth, sadly with a dead baby. Yesterday I milked her in the morning and at night and I got a lot of milk (for a first freshener Nigerian). But today, I got her tied up for milking and she gave me maybe 1/4 cup of milk! Yesterday her udder was WANTING to be milked, but her udder this morning was not as big as yesterdays, though I still got some milk today... What's happening?? She eats regular hay and minerals at night and forage during the day. I've heard of some people giving their goats Alfalfa, which has a lot of protein and calcium. Should we switch to that? I don't know what to do!!! HELP!!

·
8,071 Posts
The first few days are colostrum, then the milk comes in. They seem to have a set amount of colostrum for the number of kids being carried. (it seems like). Continual milking should bring in the milk at 3-5 days after kidding. But, if the kids were premature, then you may not get as much milk as a full term pregnancy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The baby was an average size Nigerian kid and I believe she did not know what to do, so I don't think anything was wrong with the baby...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts