Why did our sheep die?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Nupine, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Our sheep died December 8, 2006. I just don't want what happened to her to happen to our current ruminants. She was a pet. We saved her from a meat market as a lamb. She was so beautiful, really black, thin legs, and was a shetland. Her name was Sweet Pea but we called her Sheepie. This how she died. About a week before her death, I noticed she wasn't eating hay. But she ate some bread. After that she wouldn't eat anything. After a day or two we had the vet out, he said it looked like antifreeze, which isn't possible, or kidney failure. We gave her tons of meds that our friend gave to us, and more from the vet. After about a week we found her dead. By then she wasn't able to stand. She had no vaccinations. My mom my really sad, she had been that sad since 13 years ago when both her parents died 7 weeks apart, and more so then her own brother [but it was his own fault.] We had to bury her ourselves. We had her about 9 months. She was really sweet and would pounce around the yard. :cry:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, First of all I am so sorry about your loss. It is always so hard to lose a beloved pet. Please feel better that you did save her from the meat market, any you gave her a wonderful life while you had her.
    Ok, I do believe everyone is going to tell you that we need more information. We will never really know what happened. The only way to really of found that out was doing a Necropsy.
    You said that she stopped eating. Did she have a temp? How long had it been since she was dewormed? Had you done a fecal float on her? Did she have normal poop?

Sorry, lots of questions, but they are all needed to see if we can even TRY to help you.
    You said she died 12-8-06. Did you mean 12--8-07?

3. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
  4. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I mean '06. She had normal poop and got wormed probably within a month of her death.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm so sorry about your loss.Without seeing the animal it's hard to tell because there are so many things it could have been.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so a year ago she died?

7. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    Im sorry 4 ur loss