The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be fun to have a thread where people can share why they originally got goats, or how they first figured out they wanted them. I'll go first.

In 2011 we moved out of a suburban development to a six acre property that had a barn on it. I think it was probably around a year or two after we moved in when my family visited a local nature center where they had a petting zoo that had goats in it. Serendipitously these goats were kinders, the breed I would eventually end up falling in love with. The caretaker at the petting zoo talked to us about how awesome goats were and it just struck me as something I could probably do.

Our family was starting to get into self sufficiency and we knew that it would be great to have a source of milk. A cow would be out of the question because we had absolutely no experience with livestock. Getting chickens was enough of a dive into the unknown for us ex-suburbanites. Milk goats seemed manageable, though. At the time I was probably thirteen and I just took on the dream of raising goats and providing milk for my family.

At the time it just wasn't practical for us to get into goats, so my dream would have to wait. I ended up having to wait until spring of 2019 after we had moved to a new property until I was able to get my first goats. But the wait was well worth it. All that time allowed me to do an abundant amount of research which allowed me to hit the ground running so to speak.

Here is the picture of my first two kinder does Bella and Prim only a few hours after they came home:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Aw, they are sure cute. And what a great time to remember.

My journey is fairly similar, no zoo though. Once my husband retired from the military and took a job that required travel (so it didn’t matter where we lived), we moved out of suburbia and onto about 37 acres near the lake we love to take our old boat on. We are hoping to move closer and closer to self sufficiency. We first thought about a cow but wanted smaller, easier to manage animals since I’m here alone often. That lead us to goats, then even smaller, to Nigerian Dwarf goats because we didn’t want to be drowning in milk. And I’d always thought goats (all of them) were super cute with a lot of personality. And that’s how, just a few weeks ago, we ended up with our three little girls.

IMG_1622771595.171627.jpg

·
Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
242 Posts
I live near a school with a FFA type program, they had a boer buck, I fell in love, and decided I wanted my own goats. they’ve since gave him away and got another buck (they don’t make very good decisions, as they complained about the first buck being “rough” and this buck is even meaner IMO) these where the first goats I got Jupiter and Trixie

then of course my love grew ! And I ended up with four more 🤦‍♀️(fourth doe “Angel” is not pictured as she was still being weaned)

and as things do, I got more! I now have 12 and Have 2 does I’ve bought that are still at the sellers property. 😊

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
We moved from California city life to Texas Farm life 16 years ago to be more self reliant. We had a lot of hopes and dreams and soon found that those all take time. But with a brood of 8 human kids and 2 of our boys couldn't have cows milk so goats seemed like a good thing to raise. So that was how we got into dairy goats. Although we have raised Boer goats for a while, dairy goats were where we landed and now stay. We have raised nubian, obers, saanen, alpine and of course LaMancha and Nigerian. We found the few that suited us and our need and stuck with them. Now we only have 2 kiddos left at home to drink the milk so down sizing is needed. I think no matter what life throws at us..we will always have at least a few goats, even if just a few pets. This picture is Rosie. The girl that started it all with Lamancha let alone dairy. She always threw very colorful kids. I miss her every day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I wanted goats to help me manage the over abundance of honey suckle vines, black berry bushes, weeds and sapling trees in a fallow field and to keep the understory cleared in the wooded areas. Since I have 3 spring heads that gave birth to a named creek, the brook on my property runs between 2 hills and using stuff like Round Up was out of the question for me. Couldn't operate a weed eater or use a bow saw, and things got terribly overgrown. At the time, I was experiencing my 2nd shoulder injury after taking close to 3 years to recover from the first one. My physical therapy was building their goat barn, driving T-post, running fence for their dry lot, hauling cattle panels to build the browse sections and nesting a "home" for them. It took months for me to accomplish this task. However, once finished, I had 2 fully functioning shoulders and corded muscles in my arms. I decided a wether herd was the perfect solution for me because being able to rotate feeding areas is important to me. Breeding goats would have eaten up more of my space than I was comfortable with and very possibly more responsibility than I was willing to take on. I have enjoyed the Monkhood more than I have the words to express. They were my first goats and will be the last for me, the herd will always remain closed.

·
Registered
984 Posts
When I was 11 I got into 4-H. I’ve always loved goats and I knew immediately that that’s the animal I want to raise. Each year I bought, raised, and sold show wethers and I loved it! When I was 13 I was given a bottle baby doeling. I had no idea what to do with it. She was the first doe I’ve ever had and I had never bottle fed a baby before. But I dove in head first and raised her in the house (much to my parents dismay). I loved her! And I named her Poppy. She was my little buddy for years and she was the one who started me thinking about getting a few more does. Well, for my 15 birthday my dad gave me a card that had a slip of paper in it. It said “coupon for 3 Boer does and 1 buck”. I was ecstatic!! I immediately went goat searching, and within a few weeks I had three beautiful Boer does! A bit after that I got a dappled buck and bred them. The rest is history! I am now 16 and am branching out in the meat goat business, selling goat milk (from Poppy!), and raising next years crop of kids. I’m also starting a goat and sheep hoof trimming business. Tomorrow I’m going to meet my first customers! Yay!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well, I had just moved back from living overseas. I knew I didn't want to stay on the farm, but I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go. Figured, since I was living here, I ought to contribute.
My sister had 3 wethers she was using to help reclaim some very brushy ground and tackle some of the invasive plants we have here. Two of them died, and she sold the third one because he was lonesome. She wanted more goat on the land, but didn't have time to buy them, train them to the electric fences, etc. So I said I would buy the goats and train them, then she could take over when I moved on.
I found a wether on Craigslist for $75. I asked the seller if they had another goat I could buy, since I knew one goat would be unhappy. They said sure, we'll throw in this doe. So I paid $150 for the two of them. Huck and Josie, my first goats.
Well, that was about 4 years ago. I am still on the farm. Josie is a good milk goat...the best $75 I've ever spent. Huck wanders around and eats brush like a champ. I have a little dairy business and (currently) 10 other goats.
I like how interesting goats are. I like how they've given me the chance to form connections with people I never would have, otherwise. I like that they force me to be creative. They also force me to stay fit and active, even when the weather is appalling (especially when the weather is appalling). They are small enough that I can do most of the management fairly easily by myself. At the end of a long day, I like to just go outside and sit down with them, let them lick my face, burp in my ears, nibble my hair, and finally, just lie down all around me and chew their cud.

Huck and Josie, when I first brought them home.

·
Registered
Goats
1,169 Posts
Sorry for the long message but I felt it be necessary.

5 years ago my mom and dad got 3 goats they were Nubian/Boer two does (Cupcake and Muffin) and one buck (Breeches)...they were so small and only 2 weeks old, non of us knew anything about goats at that time but we did know at two weeks they need a bottle so here we go...they didn't want the bottle... wouldn't eat anything but then we tried to put milk in a pan and of course they loved the milk being in a pan instead of a bottle lol so they lived off of that for a few weeks untill they started eating hay/grass/grian/water. 6 months later we suddenly and sadly lost Muffin... It was hard because they were my babies my only and best friends... Lets back up 6 months to when we first got them. My mom and dad got the goats but i fell in love with them at first sight! Its like they were angels sent form heaven for me to learn off of! So very soon after getting them my mom knew that I loved them even more then she did so...she let me have them! Okay fast forward 4 months after losing Muffin (we then had had them for almost a year) still dont know why Muffin died and still know nothing about goats. One morning my mom tells me " your daddy said Cupcake cant walk"......me in my Pajamas Just got out of bed Slipping on my house shoes and long sleeve and running to our goat pen to check on cupcake (Btw it was 7am and in the middle of winter and 15 degrees...) Sure enough she couldn't stand....okay I have to admit cupcake was and is my baby.. I loved Musffin and Breeches but cupcake and me were two peas in a pod...losing her would have been like ripping out my heart. I sat with her, poor thing she wanted to walk to me but kept falling down and shaking? I put her in her pen and went back to the house to get ready to go to the vet with my mom and I told my mom " I think she is having Seizures" and sure enough.. We get to the vet they say she is having BAD ones....almost Grand mal seizures...They had to keep her for 3 days and they gave her meds so she was asleep the whole time she wss there... I remember the drive home....i was crying so hard I almost passed out....my mom was driving and telling me "it's okay to cry but you will pass out!" It was so hard to think of a life without cupcake..my friend, my family, my angel....when we FINALLY got to go back and pick her up I went to the back of the vet were cupcake was in a 10 by 5 pen and...she didn't realize it was me at first but when she smelled my hand.....she started screaming and crying out for me....jumpimg on the walls trying to get to me....the vet opened the door after putting her on a leash....she pulled so hard the vet accidentally let go of her leash and Cupcake ran into my stomach cryong out like....like she missed me so much....it was so emotional.....ive felt loved before and still do obviously by my family but...ive never felt so loved by an animal....it was unreal...we got her home and I sit down in our back yard and she would not get off of me! She kept calling then she would lick my hands and look at me like she was saying "never leave me again".....i love my girl and if it weren't for the vet? She would be dead. At this very day I still have my baby cupcake at my side! Sadly tho...last year I lost Breeches..... I miss him and muffin so much I cant even express... But that is what started me with goats. Lossing something I loved so dearly..made me strive to become a successful goat breeder. Here I am 5 years later and still learning but, I'm happy I chose to keep on, even after a lot of heartache. Its made me so much stronger and a better person.

My baby, Cupcake and her son Vivian.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This whole thing started back in March of 2018 with a meme:

Yeah! That one.

Then one Friday evening, we were discussing my upcoming election campaign, We were talking about parade events When my lovey bride (and campaign treasurer) chimed in with

“I can see him walking the parade with a GOAT, pulling a wagon with a banner on the side.”

and so it begins...

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is a fun topic. I love reading what inspired everyone to get goats.

We moved to our little house on 5 acres about 7 years ago with the plan of perhaps getting chickens and goats. I have wanted to live in the country for as long as I can remember and have always been animal-crazy. When I was young, I pined for horses, but at this stage of life, I can’t justify the time and expense.

First on my list after we moved in was getting another German Shepherd. I had a toy breed dog and a cat, but I had been longing to get another GSD after 10 years of living in apartments and rentals while husband and I finished school, looked for jobs, saved up for down payments, ect. So we started out with a German Shepherd puppy, and about 20 months later we got a second GSD puppy.

After that we started our human family. For a while, we were so tired and busy, I promised my husband I wouldn’t even consider getting any more animals until the children were in school. But in 2019, we changed our minds and got chickens. They were so easy and rewarding that we fenced off ½ an acre and got pigs in 2020. (I wasn’t planning on getting pigs, but a relative breeds them so they were easy to acquire).

Now , my human kids are potty trained, slightly more independent, and the older one is about to start kindergarten, so we decided to get goats and complete our little “farm.” I chose Nigerians because we only have 5 acres--not all of it fenced yet--and I don’t have a truck with a trailer, so the smaller size seemed suited to our property and our preparedness. I have fantasies about milking and possibly cheese-making, but we don’t use a ton of milk, so Nigerians should give us plenty for our current needs. I also would love it if the goats could help tame some of the out-of-control blackberries, bracken and undergrowth we have out in our field. Last, but far from least, I love the friendliness of goats, their variety of colors, and that they can be pets as well as productive farm animals.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a fun topic. I love reading what inspired everyone to get goats.

We moved to our little house on 5 acres about 7 years ago with the plan of perhaps getting chickens and goats. I have wanted to live in the country for as long as I can remember and have always been animal-crazy. When I was young, I pined for horses, but at this stage of life, I can’t justify the time and expense.
I have pined for a horse all my life too and I agree with now being unable to justify it for those reasons. Goats are a decent compromise though!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Really enjoying reading everyone's stories!

My husband and I were working high stress jobs. He ended up getting severely injured and medically retired. I was getting burned out and was rarely home. We both had great memories of our grandparents farms, and decided we wanted a quieter life in the country, where we could pursue self sufficiency.

We started with various kinds of poultry, and knew we wanted to expand to dairy animals. He was team cow, because of his grandparents farm, and I was team goat, because of mine. We decided to start with goats, and got two Mini-Nubian doelings. They are such a joy to me. My husband has slowly warmed up to them, and agreed to expanding the herd. I now have a buck, my does are pregnant, and I am picking up a wether in a couple of weeks. We are loving this journey we are on, and I am so looking forward to goat kids here soon!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had always wanted a horse. That was just not in the cards for a middle class family with 3 kids. Then I saw a cute little Nubian kid at the fair and decided that a goat was as close to a horse as I was going to get! I begged and begged, and my parents eventually caved and bought me a pair of Pygmy wethers. I had wanted dairy goats, but they had the good sense to know that an 8th grader wouldn't have the dedication for milking and caring for a dairy doe. I had them until they both passed of old age. By the time the second one passed, I had decided I didn't want any more goats. I had a job, so had income but now didn't have time, so I compromised and bought miniature horses instead of the "real" horse I'd always wanted. Then sheep. The sheep got me thinking about goats again and I still wanted to try my hand at raising a milk goat! I bought one goat. Then another. And a couple more. I don't know what happened but there's like 40 of them in my yard right now and 2 in the house. Now I have neither time NOR money! :p

·
Registered
252 Posts
My sister and I have always wanted horses, too. Obviously, that hasn’t happened...yet, we hope to get some in the distant future. Anyway, I don’t really remember what made us interested goats but I guess what really pulled the trigger was when we were having a conversation with a friend and we were on the topic of our mini farm (we only had chickens before) and he said, “You guys should get some goats!” My sister and I were like, “Yeah! They could eat our weeds!”
And so after a lot of begging and watching YouTube videos of them being so cute, our parents gave in. And before we new it, we had bought SEVEN goats that we needed to pick up! I guess you could say we dove in headfirst! 😬😆 We were a little overwhelmed at first, but now we just love it! Before we got goats, none of us thought goats could be so sweet, so funny, and just so awesome!

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I grew up in the summers raising cattle, breaking horses with my Grandad. I would then go to school at my parents home in a small city. After school was finished I worked, rode Hunter-Jumper & Dressage. That ended when I had kids
The kids got old enough, we showed sheep, in 4H I was a leader for 7 years. Then FFA showed pigs. Soon they were gone to college. I went back to school got into medical. Worked all the time, then Hubby and I bought a.small place. I have a rescue Morgan ( horse). I decided the land needs to help.pay for itself
So Cattle were to big...back to school Langston U. For goat education. I was fascinated.by meat goats.and all the.genetic versatility of color, muscle mass and cross breeding genetics. I was hooked. Started with 8...all Now I have 5 different breeds, mixing and keeping some 100% reg. Boers. I have 42 on the ground. Its been a wild & crazy few years.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Running a rescue for non farm and domesticated animals, I was asked to help with a 5 week old orphan. Destiny needed a buddy so we got Gizmo. And my last 15 months have been filled with inconditional goat love. They comforted me when my husband became a statistic and comfort Vani when school gets hard. I love them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts