Why Do I Do This to myself! *ADDED PICS*

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Feb 8, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

So my friend saw this Polled buck for sale....AHHHHH she wants me to buy him! I have enough goats(WHAT LOL) lol and I dont want to get him unless hes actually GOOD! He placed at the AGS nationals...so maybe thats good?

Here are his parents.
    Dam: http://www.olsonacres.com/VooDoo%20page.htm
    Sire: http://www.olsonacres.com/Capachino%20page.htm

This is the ony pic she sent me! I asked for more...BUT please be honest and tell me if this seems like a good buck to get! I really dont want to get him unless hes a good buck!
    [​IMG]

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Why Do I Do This to myself!

From the picture it looks like he has decent conformation. Looks like his rump is a tad steep and he may have a somewhat cresty neck (could be the pic) Also, his front pasterns (read somewhere goats only have back pasterns, but I'll just say his front pasterns) are somewhat weak. A shaved, stacked out photo might make him look totally different though. If he placed well at the AGS nationals then he's probably a lot nicer than this photo makes him look.

I like his pedigree, not totally outstanding, but I like it, and his sire and dam look really nice. I guess it would depend on what you're looking for in a buck and what his asking price is. ;)

3. TinyHoovesRanch

I want a buck that is good and doesnt need work lol I need to improve my herd....Shes only asking $200 for him. Im going to ask for a better pic, but if he has any of what you said then its a No for getting him lol

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

LOve the sire and his lines!

the dam is out of GEM, but i DO NOT like her udder position, its under her body! no rear udder at all! and if she's milked out then thats way to much udder tissue to be productive, and if she's in milk, i think for a doe her size there should be alot more milk in there..

id ask for profile pics on him and the dam's udder, and then pictures of the sire/dam progeny as well as any of his progeny IN MILK.. otherwise i wouldn't do it.. you have a small herd, and that could be a bad buck to bring in..

5. TinyHoovesRanch

His sire is for sale LOL :wink:

Im thinking its just going to be a no...Im getting a castle rock buck, that should be good enough for me LOL

Thanks for your help!

6. TinyHoovesRanch

Here are a few more pics of him. She hasnt used him to breed because she raises mini obers so his color would be a fault...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Him as a baby....SOOOOO CUTE
    [​IMG]

7. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I like the udders on his sire's sister and daughters, his dam's udder makes her a doe I wouldn't keep a buck kid from though. Good medial and good sized teets, side attachment looks good, but no rear...it's just gone? However, there's always something about an udder you can improve. Infinity needs larger teets. Tumble needs larger teets and better medial...

Good lines on the bucks side. I would say this might be an alright choice for the price. I like him more then your other buck. However, do you need two bucks? Would you still get a buck from Castle Rock if you got him?

8. TinyHoovesRanch

Im getting a castle rock buck no matter what lol. This was just an added bonus. BUT I really dont wanna get him unless he will help my herd....Do YOU think he would be good for my herd? I trust you more!

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    bucks look so weird without beards!

10. TinyHoovesRanch

OMG I KNOW!!! Bucks look stupid without those cute beards LOL

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im not real impressed by the dam. Her udder has a nice shape from the rear but theres no rear there at all when she is set you should be able to see 1/5 of it behind her leg theres nothing there. Her foreudder is smooth but extremly short. Not a lot of room to hold milk in there. As for him, he is alright but steep in the rump posty and has long pasturns. His neck apears short and thick but that could be all the hair on him.

12. TinyHoovesRanch

So you dont like him then?? Would he even be worth buying?

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Well it depends on what youre looking for. Is he better then your does? Does he have any kids on the ground? Are they improvements over their dams? Remember that your buck is half your herd.
    How much are they asking for him?
    beth

14. TinyHoovesRanch

Hes never been bred. Hes better than the buck I have now I think. He has never been bred because his color is a fault for mini obies and thats what the lady has. Shes asking $200, she spent $400 on him when he was a baby

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

well if you think he could make improvement over your does it wouldnt be a bad investment. But if heisnt as nice as your does then you would be taking steps back instead of foreward.
    Im still kind of leary about his dams udder though. Just not real thrilled with the shape. Not something id be real interested in keeping a buck from.
    beth

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    with him being unproven, the pasterns, and his dams udder. i say dont do it laura. IMO he wouldn't advance your herds genetics, your does come from nice lines.. and i've seen bewitched since she was a kid at shows, and her dam and her sire... so i know some of the udders in your line, and bringing in this buck is a bad game of russian roulette

17. TinyHoovesRanch

Thanks sarah your right!!! See this is why I need goat people to tell me NOOOO lol

Im just going to wait for a Castle Rock buck...and maybe another one with good lines and confirmation will come my way!

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    no problem..

i mean 200 for a buck sounds like a good deal, but when he's unproven and his other attributes.. looking at your herd its not a good deal.. whereas the castlerock buck is a great idea

19. TinyHoovesRanch

Ya, I definently want a castle rock buck! Everyone knows who they are lol and I know im getting a good goat from there...I just thought that IF I can across a good buck I would also get him, but since this one isnt a good buck I dont want to make my herd worse.

20. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Hey Laura - you've gotten some good help here. Just wanted to let you know that as promised I looked more into his lines. I'm going to agree, pass on this guy. I can't find any info on hermaphrodites in the lines (doesn't mean there weren't any). But he is posty and has peculiar pasterns. He doesn't look very level to me and his rump looks steep in one pic and okay in the next. So, that's iffy as well. The traits that win the chromosomal battle and produce your buck are not always the ones he is going to produce with certain does. If he got A B and C traits but carries X Y and Z and you breed him to a doe with X Y and Z you MIGHT get something really nice!! But since you only have a handful of does, this bucks lines are some good and some bad, it would be a major guessing game.

You'll get a nice animal from Castle Rock and then you know you aren't taking many risks there. You will still be figuring out how that buck works on your dams, but you won't be looking at those udders going "oh gosh...I hope that isn't your granddams udder..." AND you'll have access to a lot of good bucks as well!