why do i get all bottle babies??? any suggestions/help?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Club-Mini, May 8, 2008.

1. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hey all...i'm very happy that i'm getting a lot of experience with babies....but enough is enough.
    i have 4 bottle babies out of all 5 that were born.....and now it looks like i will be taking the 5th one home as well.

baby #1 - sephira....some may know the story - couldn't walk for 2 days even at home...very weak at birth out of triples. ( understandable)
    baby #2 - sephira's brother.....mom stopped wanting to feed after 3 weeks (WHY?)
    baby #3 - Eva - i touched her with dirty hands (smelling like another goat) at only a few hours old....and momma rejected ( ok my fault on this one)
    baby #4 - weak for 2 days - vet said pneumonia - getting him back to health. (understandable)
    and now baby # 5 - didn't see him eating now for 2 days....lost some weight....i WRESTLED momma...till i was bleeding and sweating my butt off....the baby went crazy looking for milk...and she just woudl't want to give any up...she kept fighting every time he would come close.

why do these mommas just stop trying to feed their kids? absolutley everything looks good on them and the teats...then what is wrong? and it seems like around the same time....this one is almost 3 weeks old too...
    what is going on with my mommas??
    any help??
    thanks,
    nella

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well I have had a doe who stopped wanting to feed her triplets at 3 weeks and she was in heat which made her teats sore and her grouchey so I held her every few hours for 2 days till she went out of heat and all was well. Other than that I am not sure what could be going on but I feel for you. I do not like bottle babies I love to see their dam taking care of them.

3. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    don't get me wrong...i love bottle babies...they really ARE more friendly and want to cuddle :)
    it is however, VERY time consuming...and my hubby has had enough!!! we still keep them in the house...

sigh

could heat last 4 days, though?
    today is the 3rd day that she's been like this...

i dunno

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The kids sound like they are old enough to be outside. The 3 bottle babies that I raised in February were 2 weeks when I took them. I fed them a bottle in the morning before work, then I have a sock nailed to the barn wall that I put bottles in for the daytime when I was at work, a bottle when I got home from work, and one right before bed.

They were not in my home. The only time kids are in the home is when there is something wrong or if they are being pulled for a bottle baby for someone (only happened 2 times so far this year).

Here soon they can go down to 3 bottles a day and so on till they are weened at 6-8 weeks old.... but the socks on the barn walls helped me alot!!!

Keep your chin up - it will get better!

I have never seen a mom abandon them at 3 weeks, but I have seen them get on the kids case about nursing every minute of the day. They will start their own weening with them so that they learn to nurse only so many times a day and to get them to start eating hay and trying to drink water.

Good luck
    Al

5. my3kids

my3kids New Member

May 3, 2008
    :grouphug: Hi all, just jumping in here. I too am bottle feeding 4 week old kids all by myself and I work almost full-time. I really don't mind doing it but it certainly changes my freedom to do other things. It's like having a baby all over again.

Now that they are growing they are getting more challenging to feed. They are very forceful! But I have already told my husband that when we buy more goats they have got to be at least a couple months old.--Michelle

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Bottle babies do get a bit more pushy. Momma usually puts them into check when they do that, but we don't so they continue the bad behavior. That is where the tube socks on the barn wall come into play. They learn that if they hit it, it goes flying and then it is a pain for them, so mine calmed down considerably.

Hope that helps - give it a try....

Allison

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nella were all the does first timers? That can play a huge part in why they rejected kids

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    As to the mom's not nursing, that is about the age that my moms start kicking their kids away and making them eat more hay and such. They still nurse them(its usually when you aren't around) but they are trying to get their kids eating other things I think.

With the kids at birth, if I ever had a weak baby I give it 1/4 cc(I have standard sized goats) sub-Q and it is better in a couple hours. If the mom rejects the kid at birth it is because 1. she might not have enough milk; 2. she's keeping the stronger kid, this can also happen during years of expected drought, moms know they wont' have enough to provide, so they are going to let the weakest go, moms can also think this if mineral requirements aren't up to par; or 3. she is a bad mother, but that isn't always the case.

I wish I was you, try having 20 bottle babies!!(I counted the other day :shocked: )

9. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    are you serious??????? 20??? i'm sure that would be one incredible sight....pic??
    that would definately be a full time job for me :)
    i feed them all except the pneumonia one....from a bowl.
    shortly after i took sephira in, i was told that bottle babies are very hard to train to drink water or anything EXCEPT from a bottle since they don't have anyone to mimick......so right after that...i got sephira drinking from a bowl...and then when the other 2 came in....they copied her and all 3 stick their heads in the bowl...its very cute!
    i only do it 4 times a day now...and take them for a walk during the day so they can exercise and eat some grass... they are old enough to be outside...except i'm fencing in our 7 acres in between my 2 jobs and feeding the animals....my dad's gf keeps her quarter horses with us...and they decided they were bored and wanted to go next door to the newly built neighborhood....so after that whole scene...(not a good way of meeting your neighbors by the way)...LOL...after tearing down the fencing, my budget for a kid corner had to go to new fencing all around.

i know that they have their own way of weaning....i get the whole concept...but not when your little one is visably loosing more weight every day...he does try to nibble on grass...but its not enough for him. and he does look really thin...i will check on him tomorrow am again...and decide then what to do with him.

i was just wondering if i had done something wrong... OH...and Stacey....no they're not first timers....i think its the 3rd for all of them.

i just wanted to know if this acutally happens to others or if there is something wrong with my mommas or if this is normal from time to time.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok Sarah mentioned the bowl feeding to me before.......but now I am really curious about this. How do you train them to eat from a bowl?

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have 3 sets of kids that we feed and we used a lambar, usually they swarm me and knock me down so pics are impossible to take :lol:

12. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    it was quite challenging at first...but i couldn't believe it when it actually happened.
    its all about the nipple. LOL.. i have always used regular, dollar store, bottles and nipples.
    i would make sure they got used to the nipple and followed it for milk...and not me, but eventually feeding them far from me but still holding the bottle. (i'm not sure i'm explaining it right)
    then i would take off the nipple.....give it to the kid...and then dunk it in the bowl making sure that they saw where it went...EVENTUALLY they do suck on the nipple in the bowl...and then when you keep moving the nipple around in the bowl, and they taste the milk, they know what to do. they will get some in their nose...and quickly sneeze it out....but with practice and supervision....it takes just a few feedings.
    Sephira was pretty easy as she was ALWAYS hungry, so she followed the nipple everywhere. Her brother was the opposite story however, it took me 3 days...and then finally he took his first sip...i. rubbed his butt in the process and that was it. obviously it helped afterwards when he saw Sephira eating...then he was just curious and stuck his head in...then realized what it was and no more help from me needed.
    i do it a few times with each kid separately....after i make sure they somewhat get the point...i let them eat with the other kids and mimick them./....so far not a problem...

and it definately helps not having to bottle feed every single kid separately.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am still going to try it though Kitten doesnt take a bottle so wont follow the nipple - hence the reason to try the bowl

14. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    oh, i wish i was there....hehehe

all the ones i took that had mom's teat for a few days to weeks - i did have difficulties with them taking a bottle, however!!!!!!!!!!!! it took me 24-48 hours with each one of those guys and they took it fine. it's shaped differently and the sucking action is way different on a human bottle as opposed to mom's teat, but they will take it, i promise.
    i have 2 kids of nipples and they work absolutely great.
    they are BOTH normal human nipples but one has a normal store bought hole,
    the other, i made just a tiny bit bigger....why?
    i always start off with the one with the bigger hole - you turn the bottle upside down and it drips VERY slowly by itself - this helps them know that this weird thing is what the milk comes out of.
    after they get it and start sucking from it, i swith to the normal nipple the next day cuz i don't want them to suck too hard and take in tooo much milk.
    if that still doesn't work with the firts nipple....i squeeze it ever so slightly while it is in their mouth so that a few drops come out by them selves....this helps too.
    i never bothered bying those "special" nipples cuz i didn't want to pay $4 a nipple plus i didn't know if they would actually work...and they look way too big for my little ones...

i know that whatever you put your mind to - it will work.
    good luck Stacey!!!!
    and thanks for all your help!
    nella

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have started quite a few on the bottle --- have one currently. Kitten WILL NOT take a bottle. She only likes mom. So I hold mom every couple hours -- it is working so far........only 11 more weeks to go :sigh: