Why do I go through more grass hay then alfalfa?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jaytori220, Apr 26, 2009.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    1 bale of Tim/Alf lasts me 3 days and a bale of alfalfa lasts me 6 days with 5 goats. I was ttryin to feed a mixed hay to go cheaper but it looks like feeding alfalfa will be cheaper in the long run. I guess because alfalfa weighs more then the grass mixed hay. IDK....Im aggrivated.... :hair:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    maybe because the alfafa is more nutricious they dont need to eat more.

What I do is limit their hay intake. I only provide X amount twice a day. That keeps my waste down too.

3. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Thats a possibility and makes sense. They dont have any browse so I give them free choice hay.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I'm going to get a better mix this year...I've been feeding timothy...that was a bit overmature...the horses eat it all but the goats waste half of it...no waste with the alfalfa. Has to be more "cost effective".

5. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    The thing was is that I was wasting so much alfalfa so I went to Tim alf mix thinking it would last as long and less waste cause its all really grassy. Boy was I wrong. They do waste less I noticed but I go through it more. I also made new hay boxes that waste less hay so Im wondering if that has saved the wasted hay. So I guess I will try the alfalfa with the new hay boxes and see if it does last longer then 6 days! Maybe thats what I need to do.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine dont have browse either and I only feed them hay twice a day.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... that Alfalfa is more nutritious... and it is leafier..a little goes along way.....Most goats.... love Alfalfa....they clean that up all the time .unless over fed...then that is when you get alot of waste...with other hays ...they waste tons of it....they don't like the stemmy hay.... :wink: :greengrin:

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, what everyone else said. Alfalfa bales tend to be quite a bit heavier than grass hay bales as well. A 55-60lb grass hay bale is the same size as a 75-80lb Alfalfa bale...around here anyway.

I generally use alfalfa pellets as opposed to the hay becase, as I mentioned in another post, the quality of it here can be variable. When it's good, it's great....when it's not, it's terrible.

Alfalfa is more nutritious if it is cut at the right time. It is quite delicate, though, so even if the farmer is just a little late on the cutting because the weather is not ideal (or whatever), the nutritive value drops tremendously...