Why do I make my life so complicated

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fivemoremiles, Nov 1, 2019.

1. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Its breeding season do i need to say more.
    Let me explain i have 300 ewes i need to separate the black wooled ewes they are the ewes that i use as seragate mothers so they need to lamb first.
    then i need to separate the black face ewes and the lower quality white face to be breed by a black face buck. I breed the white face that do not make the grade to black face bucks. that way during lambing i know that i don't want to keep this ewes lambs because the lambs are brockle have black spots on there face and legs.
    and that leaves just the white face ewes. My best ewes
    then i need to cut the young goats from the herd so they do not get breed.
    then the Lamacha does need to be cut from the Boer herd.
    that is six pens with six feeders and six heated water troughs.
    dang I love this!!!

Trollmor and Sfgwife like this.
  2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Do sheep fight like goats when you put them back together in a big herd?

3. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    No they have a very loose hierarchy. they do have a very tight herd mentality My black face herd is clickish and would rather not mix with my white face herd.
    I have tried to integrate the two herds for four years

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh I don't envy you lol..Except the fact that you love it which Im in awe of. I do not like breeding season at all. I have Nigerian and Lamancha and Saanen. I set up a breeding pen and bring in the lady in waiting to the pen..my bucks are trained to run to the pen and go in. ( easy to do when a Doe in heat awaits LOL) I CAN NOT WAIT until every one is settled!! And I only have a handful of goats compared to your flock of sheep LOL I can not imagine doing so many LOL..Best wishes and many blessing to a happy kidding/lambing season!!

Trollmor and GoofyGoat like this.
  5. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I admire your dedication and well thought out plan. Wow that sounds like a lot of work just getting everyone where they belong. I hope it goes smoothly and the weather cooperates with you!
    Hoping for a very successful breeding season for you!

Trollmor likes this.
  6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    You seem to have it all figured out. Now.......
    If you could just tell my one lil lady that she needs be loud and a nasty girl... so that i know she is in heat.... please and thank you! Lol! That is my issues right now. :/. The one doe that i want to have bred this year is not cooperating with me. One single doe. The others.... all loud and nasty with their come hithering. But jade.... newp. Not a nothin. She gets puffy pants and a whole three drops of goop and sometimes a tinny bit of flaggin but that is it. I put her in with the buck... la de daaaa here i am gonna go scope out these nice leaves over here... ooo lookit that lil pile over there.... la la la la. The lil jerk!

GoofyGoat, Jubillee and Trollmor like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I just put all my does in with the buck and rams with the the ewes and wait 42 days. some times it is more like 5 months i pull the boys out before lambing and kidding. I have one ram that is good till lambing and then he gets realy protective.

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like fun but you obviously have it under control. I don't envy you carrying out the plan. Good luck!

10. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I bet you do ... :imok:
    Which is of course his job! :hide:

GOOD LUCK from me, too!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    So one question, why are black wooled ewes the surrogate? Are they better mothers?

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  12. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    They just are East Friesian ewes i have been told they are from Denmark the only EF that are black. I do not know if i believe that. but they are easy to see and cut out. Most of my herd is EF but try to find a white sheep in a white herd.
    the black wooled sheep also are my counters. when i am grazing the mountain i count the black sheep if i have 12 black ewes i know i have my entire herd. I have never found a wayward group of sheep with out having a black one in the bunch.
    once we moved the herd across the valley when we got to the other side i was missing one black ewe. I said I am short 20 ewes the young woman that was helping me herd that year said how do you know? I said the herd just looked short about 20. shure enough there was 22 at the night pen that night on the other mountain. when i got the wayward ewes back i told my herder how i knew she said i wish you had told me about that trick 3 weeks ago it would have saved me allot of wondering and worry

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.