Why do my goats put their heads up and turn them around?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GoatCrazy01, Dec 19, 2016.

1. GoatCrazy01

GoatCrazy01 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    My 2 1/2 year old Nigerian Dwarf doe does this thing where she puts her head up, twists it all around, by her back and almost touches it.. or she'll just look up. It's really weird. She's not sick, she's done it ever since we got her. Her two kids now do it too. She doesn't have horns, neither do her kids. My other two goats don't do this, or I have never seen them do it. She also does it when I'm trying to drench her or something (in the past when she's been sick). Just curious. Thanks!

2. Bansil

Bansil Member Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    Our Nigerian Dwarf does this, it is like he is looking at something, our 2 Pygmy's do not do it :scratch:

3. GoatCrazy01

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    That's funny! These 3 that do it are Nigerian Dwarfs too..

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    It's just a quirky goat behavior some folks call "helicoptoring" - not related to breed of the goat or anything else. One of my does likes to put her front feet up on the wall and stretch as TALL as she can then helicopter her head around backwards. I think she does it when they have been cooped up too long or are bored in winter time when they don't have pasture to keep their minds busy all day.

lbsmith83 likes this.
  5. GoatCrazy01

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    The doe stands on the fence and does that too. Did it while she was going into labor.. I think she does it mainly when she's nervous or bored.

6. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    All my Nubians do it. They look especially silly doing it with those long ears flopping back and sideways. My Oberhasli does it, as do a couple of my Manchas. They seem to do it when they have a full belly and are bored.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They want to view the world at another angle. ;)

8. GoatCrazy01

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan

I love this aspect/description of it! Haha!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. GoatsLive

GoatsLive Member

Head Flip

The head flip, lets them very quickly scan the entire area at once for predators.

Having previously only raised Saanen goats, I was quite surprised at this when I got a new pair of LaMancha twin sisters last year. I have to be really careful, as they still have their horns and I've been caught in the face once as they flip their heads around!

11. Nab58

Nab58 New Member

May 8, 2016
    Would love to see a picture. I've never seen my goats do that but have notice they sure do have good eyesight. I think they watch me in my house! :)

12. GoatsLive

GoatsLive Member

Head Flip

Here's a slow motion .gif of my girl Rose, doing her best head flip around.

[​IMG]

13. Nab58

Nab58 New Member

May 8, 2016
    Ha! That's funny. If she's not careful, she could gore herself!