The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not just all the ones they keep but also all the kids they plan to sell?

I'm asking mainly about the commercial boer goats and particularly goat being sold to 4h and ffa for fairs. But really all in general. Why make a big deal about names if your going to sell that animal?

I mean I have actually avoided taking my kids to some farms to look for goats because on fb the owners make such a huge fuss about names. I wouldn't mind if the owner said "I've always considered this one an Oreo" you know that hints to a suggestion or might give the child an idea. But when I see posts with all these pre-named kids it makes me feel bad, and pictures with the child buyer and the wether with the farms chosen name like the child doesn't have a say. I don't want to take my boys to buy a goat and have them not pick a good one because they don't like the name the owner calls it. Or even worse get one home and they feel guilty about wanting to change the goats name, or become frustrated about their project animal becuase they hate the name but are afraid to change it. I mean I don't have an issues keeping older animals names, that's been their names. But even if I'm adding a doeling to my herd I want too name her to fit my preferences not feel guilty because the owner named her "princess snowflake butterball"

I just don't understand why names are such a big deal for some when you plan to sell the animal in just a few months

·
Registered
477 Posts
We have young kids so everything gets a name, even the wethers that go to market. For me it’s easy to talk to the kids and say oh “name of goat” isn’t feel well rather than use a number. I guess names aren’t a big deal they are just easier for everyone in the family to have names.

we are currently getting ready to buy and few doelings and a buckling. We don’t love the does name so we will be changing them. I don’t feel like it’s a big deal the change the name considering they don’t know their names.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
We do registered dairy here. I do not want some crazy or nasty name associated with my farm and herd. So anything that gets registered i put a name on the papers. What the new owner wants to call them is up to them. I do have names that i call everyone... but new owner new name ok but those papered names will not change.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've got to call them something! Everyone gets a name, and when I sell them I tell the buyer "I call him _____, but you can call him whatever you want!" My buyers almost always change the names anyway, and I'm fine with that.

I do register the doe kids I sell. My does have themes and I want to be able to associate each kid with its dam. If I were to sell a kid before her registration had been processed, I'd tell the buyer her intended name and let them know that I'd be open to alternate suggestions if they absolutely couldn't stand the name I'd chosen. But again, just because a goat is registered under a certain name doesn't mean it's what you have to call her. I had a Kali Dee who I always called Luna because I had a coworker named Kali at the time. I sold a Vela who now goes by Pepper. I know a Lullaby whose new owner calls Olive. It's no big deal, and if a breeder wants to name the kids they sell, that's totally up to them and we'll within their right. As long as they don't make a big deal about insisting the buyer keep the name, there's no reason for the buyer to be butthurt over it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I just fell different about it. I mean a registered animal I do understand to a point. And an older animal of course usually has a name. I guess I'm just one of those people personally when I'm buying a new young animal I want to name it what I feel. But I truly have a hard time with pre-named animals, like I honestly can't buy a named baby animal if that name doesn't agree with me. I have even had a hard time looking at kittens and puppies in the shelters because someone has given it a name. It's just like seeing wethers posted on line. I can't look objectively at a wether with a name the same way I can one without. If I don't like the name or the name doesn't feel right to me it's ruined me wanting to get it becuase no matter how nice the animal looks I dont like renaming animals. It makes me feel bad like I'm being disrespectful or something. Yeah it's probably a crazy way to feel about it. But that's just how I am. It literally hurts my heart to see people naming animals that they are selling, but because if I wanted that one I won't personally be able yo change the name.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Most of the wethers don’t get names, and if they do it’s because something is up with that one and it’s easier then saying “the little boy bottle baby” or “the tiny black paint that tried to break its leg”. Usually though it’s their ear tag number. Girls, they are registered. They have to have a name and I’m not going to send blank names on the app and later on have the papers sent back because someone else named their animal that. Been there done that.
I don’t care what a animals name is when I buy them. Almost none of my animals go by their registered name. I’m not calling them “whole lotta Rosie” or “shining arctic blast” so then are simply Rosie and chili. And Rosie and chili works better then number 52 and 85 or the red dapple that looks pregnant or the mostly white dapple that is super friendly. But yeah it comes down to I have to call them something lol

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I guess I just fell different about it. I mean a registered animal I do understand to a point. And an older animal of course usually has a name. I guess I'm just one of those people personally when I'm buying a new young animal I want to name it what I feel. But I truly have a hard time with pre-named animals, like I honestly can't buy a named baby animal if that name doesn't agree with me. I have even had a hard time looking at kittens and puppies in the shelters because someone has given it a name. It's just like seeing wethers posted on line. I can't look objectively at a wether with a name the same way I can one without. If I don't like the name or the name doesn't feel right to me it's ruined me wanting to get it becuase no matter how nice the animal looks I dont like renaming animals. It makes me feel bad like I'm being disrespectful or something. Yeah it's probably a crazy way to feel about it. But that's just how I am. It literally hurts my heart to see people naming animals that they are selling, but because if I wanted that one I won't personally be able yo change the name.
I don't think most people have this problem. :)

I've renamed a few of the animals that I bought from other people. The two horses I own now were both named something different before I got them. My older horse is on at least her third name! I think she was "High Heels" two owners ago, but the girl I bought her from had renamed her "Dakota." I didn't like either of those names so I changed it to "Stardust" but I call her "Dusty" for short. My younger horse was originally named "Maverick" but not only do I not like that name, there are already about three horses in our saddle club that already have it. So I renamed him "Pepperjack."

I tend to fall in love with a face more than name. I saw the cutest young buck a few years ago that I just had to have. He was named "Moose" in the ad but I really don't like that name and it didn't suit him at all, so I immediately renamed him "Pac-Man." I immediately named our first goat "Otis," but then changed my mind and renamed him "Cuzco" within half an hour. I don't even remember the original name of the second goat we bought, but I didn't think it fit her so I renamed her "Nibbles."

I name every kid born here because I would have a much harder time bonding with them if they didn't have names. I raise packgoats and dairy goats so bonding in the first three months is crucial for their permanent socialization. Many of our kids learn their names before they are weaned, but they are very smart and can learn a new name if their owner changes it. I tell all my buyers to name the kids whatever they want, but most end up keeping the names I gave them at birth.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have dairy goats and whether I sell them or not I name them just for ease when talking about them. If any of my buyers want to rename them, that’s totally fine with me. I don’t think my goats know their names anyway, especially the babies! :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I name all my babies but if they sell before they are 18 months I always tell the new owner they can feel free to rename said goat if they choose. I name them because I find it easier to train and work with them. If you want to rename one you buy just do it the exowner has no say in what the goat is named after it leaves their property. I've renamed a lot of goats that I bought (I even renamed a goat I was babysitting because I hated the name she had) and I tell the seller I renamed them and so far I've only run into 1 person who asked why I renamed but she seemed fine that I renamed him.

I use names for identification and I don't care if someone renames a goat that they buy.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I name everyone born here. Sometimes it's a normal name like, lets say, Rose. Sometimes it is just, (Dams name) buck/doe. I never expect names to be kept, but it is so much easier to have names even if they are just going to be leaving. It helps when they are put up for sale. I put their names under their photos and it is much easier for people to just say "I was interested in, Jax. Can I get some more info?" Or something like that, and I can let them know all of that kid "Jax" info.

It also helps when identifying just in general. I used to work at a dairy. 99% of their does were Saanens. It was a nightmare Identifying kids from their sibling and no way it could be done if we put all of them together. Kids would get a colored collar with their dams name aka numbers and the kids name aka numbers. It makes everything easier for identifying and also treating them should anything happen. The adult does didn't have a normal name like Button, Dixie, Ruby, etc. But they had their number and letter so they were called like E113, A100, C230 Etc. But when they brought up their identification/name I would usually know at least what group they were talking about.

Point is, I think all goats have a name or a form of identification. Some choose normal or more "pet" type names, other might choose identification numbers/or markings as a "name". Like, Numbers/letters or, the one with the L shape on it's side, the one with the blaze over its eyes, or the paint with a brown tail and feet. Things like that. They aren't technically a name, but they work just the same for identification. If you just called everyone in your herd "goat" things probably wouldn't be easy! Add a colored collar or identify a marking/number and use that to address the goat and things immediately become so much easier. It is all a preference, but the way I see it, they all have a "Name" Some people, like myself, just put a little more time and thought into it than others.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,538 Posts
I renamed my goats from their registered names. My does Were originally Raven and Selkie and now they are Belladonna (Bella) and Primula (Prim). Those were names I had picked even before I knew what goats I was getting. My bucks were Lightning and Robby and now they are Phantom and Cullen. I don't think that it's that big a deal. I understand what you are saying, but you should be picking goats based on what they add to you herd and your goals not by name anyway. I find it way harder to get over not just picking by color. :rolleyes: Try as I might I'm pretty sure I picked Bella because I have an obsession with all black animals.:oops:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I name Everything born on my place. When you have 18 bucklings running around, its nice to know which one you are talking about. I dont care what you call them once you buy them. Neither do they! Im not going to ignore my little ones, and not name them. How cold. Everyone I have ever dealt with has named their little ones.
Anyone on this site and my friends laugh about my names. Like dipstick, stuffer, 13, butthead, slick...their are only for individualism. Once you pay for them, they are whoever you want them to be.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I get it y'all think I'm weird. Im not like you can can't rename an animal. It's not as simple addr you all make it seem. My 2 retired dairy goats have their original names, the horse even kept his original name. The bunny who now has 3 names I can't call him by what my kids call him I have to call him Dominic Patrick Batbunny, or I just call him bunny, but I can't call him Batbunny. I have never been able to bring myself to rename an animal, heck even my oldest son goes by one of his middle names at school but I still call him by his first because that's what we named him. And therefore i would have a really hard time buying any animal that already has a name especially if it's a name I don't like. So regardless of everyone saying it's no big deal to change an animals name. It is a very big deal for me. And it does have a huge impact on my opinion of an animal for me. It most cases there name it's self doesn't bother me and it would be a name I would be willing to keep. But like one of my girls is named Banshee, I would never be able to buy another goat named Banshee because I personally wouldn't be able to change her name and wouldn't want 2 with the same name.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You know I should take a page from you and be more picky about names, then I would follow my husbands rule of not buying any more goats lol
But your sons name is totally different then a goats name. That is something that you put a LOT of thought into, well if you were like me ;) I’m totally with you on not calling him anything but the name you picked for him. My sons name is Joshua, people call him Josh and I’m like JOSH-U-A!
But I’m still naming my animals, and I’m not leaving names empty for my goats on applications, and to be honest if someone doesn’t buy them over a name then someone doesn’t buy them.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
For me...and me alone..so please dont take this the wrong way.
I have several does, each one special in her own way. Ive bred her to the Buck I think will produce an amazing baby. I have raised all these basically by myself. I wait 5 months to see my product. Ive had to learn about several signs which can cause problems. Ive bought meds. I administered meds. Ive built pens, stalls, barns, fences, feeders, and held a full time job. Then its the last month. I check on her feed verses her body score. I watch her daily. I look at her udder.,teats and vulva everyday. To check for problems. The last week is hard. Now birthing starts and so does more work. Late nights. More medical supplies. Worry. No sleep..and finally labor starts. It doesnt just pop out. Some are hours long.some are easy. Then after doing this for 3 months, all the kidds have to be fed, watched, medicated, and worked with.
So by the time some person wants to purchase what Ive just spent 8.months to get to this point...do you really think I care if you like what I call this amazing creature or not? Were you there in any of this? It takes 2 seconds to change a name. It takes 2 seconds to change it again. Do you realise when you register a goat...the goat association names that goat? So...Im sorry. But the naming is 2 seconds out of my 8 months per goat. I do not understand your concern over 2 seconds.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts