The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,we’ve had our goats since August and have learned a think or two about the hay...but...why. ....when I bring out fresh hay o put on top of the hay from last night or this morning...which is obviously not old..and I read hay can be stored quite awhile without losing nutrients...anyways...why do they then ignore the stuff that they already had if the feeders...and go straight for the new stuff? I feel like..they are never eating to the bottom and then that hay might be getting damp, or something that might cause an issue.is that what they’re trying to tell me or they being their little picky selves? Lol

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Just like a pasture..goats are browsers..not grazers. When they eat, they constantly are moving. Its fun watching them. They run here & there picking what they like & leave the rest. They do the same with hay. They pick through it. Only eating what they like. My goats share hay with my horse. Between all of them, the round bale gets eaten.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try cutting back on the hay a little. I find if I feed to much it sits, gets wasted, or they pull it ot for bedding (smart goats) but if I feed just enough even if they pick at it through the day it's always gone by morning.
Geez, I just put another hay bagger in because it's winter and there's no more pasture..but, they are picky devils, so, makes sense, I'll leave a little less and see if they eat it...thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just like a pasture..goats are browsers..not grazers. When they eat, they constantly are moving. Its fun watching them. They run here & there picking what they like & leave the rest. They do the same with hay. They pick through it. Only eating what they like. My goats share hay with my horse. Between all of them, the round bale gets eaten.
Guess I need to buy horses so I don't waste hay? Lol...

·
Registered
305 Posts
The struggle is real for me too! My girls are SO picky about hay. I'm in the south east and we have a ton of fescue hay available but mine don't really like it..

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
[QUOTE="Denise Troy, post: 2319615, member: 43449 ...why do they then ignore the stuff that they already had if the feeders...and go straight for the new stuff? [/QUOTE]

The old stuff may look like the same as the new stuff through your eyes, but they have probably eaten the fine parts off. Also, I imagine fresh hay must be for goats like buns out of the oven for us. The smell is irresistable.
I had to learn the same lesson, until I could hear the difference in their voices. When I started giving less, they yelled at me and begged, I had to put in ear plugs. It was their expectation, learned through my (overfeeding) behaviour.
Now I know the voices that say "I'm still hungry!", and when I look, there's no more hay, zip.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
The answer to your question is:

Goats are jerks.

I love em, but they are stupid picky with their hay.

After a day, I take out the old stuff and put your new hay in. But if you can, just fill the feeder to the point where they finish it all. Experiment with how much they actually eat, and give a smaller amount daily so there is less waste.

And make sure you have the right hay, second cutting so goats eat more of it and don’t avoid the stalks, and remember that Timothy is often harder and orchard and alfalfa are more preferred.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
59DBBC7B-C039-47FC-AD05-3C0612D44523.jpeg
The answer to your question is:

Goats are jerks.

I love em, but they are stupid picky with their hay.

After a day, I take out the old stuff and put your new hay in. But if you can, just fill the feeder to the point where they finish it all. Experiment with how much they actually eat, and give a smaller amount daily so there is less waste.

And make sure you have the right hay, second cutting so goats eat more of it and don't avoid the stalks, and remember that Timothy is often harder and orchard and alfalfa are more preferred.
Timothy is what's available everywhere around us..but I barely sneak that in..often used more for bedding...but what's weird is I bought them the alfalfa cubes way back as a treat...they don't love them..they'll eat them if they have to...but they'd rather eat something else...weird. This is Busty...standing on her brother, the pot belly pig Jumbo that she was raised with...lol..they are too funny...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(thumbup)
Can I ask you a few personal questions...I've seen your threads on here from years ago..how many goats do you have? Are you relatively young? Do you have help? It's just...I am the caretaker of our animals...my husband builds stuff...it's a lot of work...all day work. I love it..soooo much...but, well..he doesn't..so I'm wondering if you have help to ease the work load?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
but what's weird is I bought them the alfalfa cubes way back as a treat...they don't love them..they'll eat them if they have to...but they'd rather eat something else...weird.
The cubes tend to be too large for goats. Try breaking them up into smaller pieces and see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Can I ask you a few personal questions...Sure you can. I've seen your threads on here from years ago..how many goats do you have? I have downsized and down to 9 breeding Does, 4 doelings, 2 bucks Are you relatively young?No, I have around for quite a few years, LOL ;) Do you have help? No, mostly it is just me, I trim, vaccinate, worm, do cocci prevention, feed the goats, supplement them, move the goats to breeding locations, milk goats to dry them off or when they are too tight, I am there for my does when they kid out to help them if needed, treat those who are ill, it goes on and on.
I every once in a while ask my husband for help, like tattooing, repairs to fences, running the tractor to clean out the barn, bring in hay, he drives the pickup and flatbed trailer ect.
It's just...I am the caretaker of our animals...my husband builds stuff...it's a lot of work...all day work. It is a lot of work, yes, I do agree, it is. I love it..soooo much...but, well..he doesn't..so I'm wondering if you have help to ease the work load? I honestly would love more help, it is getting tougher as I get older, but so far I manage. So yes, if you can get that extra help, it would ease some burden off of you and your husband.
If you have too many goats, you can always downsize so it is more manageable. And less stressful.

How many goats do you have?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ours Eat the thin twigs and leafy parts but leave the thicker parts. Every other morning I’ll move what’s left at the bottom of the feeder, along with a little extra straw, to the areas they sleep to top off their bedding. That way what’s wasted hasn’t really gone to waste.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts