Why do we do this to ourselves?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatnutty, Jun 7, 2009.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Sometimes I wonder why we do this to ourselves (have the goats) when all we want to do is :hair: :hair: till we are bald! I have a market weather who needs to gain like 10 lbs. in 2 weeks, a doe taht I need bred this month for next years market kids and my buck showed 0 interest......what are we thinking, or are we thinking?Lol

2. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    After July 1st you can pretty much flip a switch and all of the does will come into season! Our county fair is in June, so we are trying to breed right now. The only thing I can reccommend is to apply a CIDR to the doe and in 15-18 days give her an injection of PG 600 and she will come into estrus. That is what we did, I guess in 5 months we will know if it worked! Sprinkle some dried molasses on the wether's feed. And RELAX! We do this cuz when a goat steps on your foot, you aren't disabled for an extended period of time! That, and they are lovable little critters, ain't they?!?!?
    Be at peace, Fred V.

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yeah, our fair is in 2 weeks so we are kind of in a bind and overwhelmed but, I will try to relax. My weather this year wasn't born until Jan. so I'm a little behind. Thanks, Sara

4. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Sara, Sometimes a wether with good muslce conformation (where's that darned spell checker!) will do better than a big, jigggly hulk that is over conditioned, in other words- FAT! Just make sure yours gets exercise and feed and you will probably do fine. Some times the larger weight classes will show with too much condition and a smaller, well muscled wether can win out. We try to breed to where the wethers are about 6-8 months old at the time of the show. Folks say 8-10 months, but they might hit the stop growth wall at the older ages and start to lose muscle. The younger ones are easier to work with as far as getting them to look the way you want them. So stop :hair: and get out there and work that goat! Get his appetite worked up by exercising him!
    Fred V.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Well, he will only be 5 months old at the fair and he has good confirmation but, we have to get him to weigh that much or they will not allow me to sell him in the auction. That is why i was :hair:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ....you are ...pressed on time......I am sorry... that you are going through so much stress right now... :( ..I will pray.... that things get better and you are able to raise the weight on your wether on time ...do everything you have to do....so you can relax and enjoy your goats .... :pray: :hug:

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Thanks Pam! I really hope that we get this figured out!

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Sara ... old cattleman's trick.

When you weigh him in at the fair, weigh him 'full'. That means no feed and water the night before weighing, then in the morning give him a large feed and if he wont eat just a small amount of water to get him to eat his feed, then right before weighing give him as much as he wants to drink - he will be thirsty and should drink and drink and drink. Then he's going to have maximum gut fill when he steps on the scales. He should drink about 22lbs worth of water. Bingo, you've got your weight.

Now with the doe ... time is running out to get her bred this month, if you dont know when her next heat cycle is, you've got two options. If you KNOW she is cycling at the moment, she has entered her breeding season, you can use two injections of PG (lutalyse, estrumate etc) now I think it is seven days apart but I would need to check that in my book to be 100% sure. This will bring her in heat after the second shot. The second method takes a bit longer but you can use it out of the breeding season, so if you arent sure whether she's begun to cycle, this is safer. Put a CIDR into her and after 17-21 days remove it. 15 days as the previous poster suggested is too short. It needs to be in for at least as long as the cycle to be effective - I tend to leave mine in for 21 days to be absolutely sure. When you pull the CIDR you can give a shot of PG but that is optional - I breed with CIDRs every year and I never give a shot of PG and they come in just fine. Also, you can give a shot of PMSG at CIDR removal if you want to increase the multiple births - but be aware you will probably end up with triplets or more. I dont use it, and I get mainly twins so I'm happy with that. But if your doe normally only has singles and you want a few more, why not use it? Regardless of the injections you decide to use in conjunction with the CIDR, she will come into heat between 24 and 48 hrs after CIDR removal, but I usually put them with the buck straight after CIDR removal, and leave for a week, because I've seen them either side of that 24-48hr window

9. I am so glad we just let them do what they want when they want here. Mind you this is just my hobby and though I like kids I let it happen when it happens.

I am sorry you are going though so much. I do hope it gets better.

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Thanks, I have to get working but, it is going to rain all week... :angry:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome ...I hope so to....and when you are getting rain all week ...that makes it... a little harder.... :( :hug: :pray:

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yeah, I got like half of my other projects done today so that helps a little. As long as I get her bred by the end of next month it should be ok I just was hoping we could get it done this month so we would have bigger weathers.

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I gave my nubian doe sweet feed with every meal because she was stunted. Man did she put on the weight fast! Now I have to try to get her to loose the extra bulk.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Well that is good .. :thumbup: ....you got 1/2 done....a big achievement.....I have faith ...that you.... will get her bred on time.... :wink: :hug:

15. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We have put him on sweet feed to try to get him to put on the weight. Thanks!
    Pam, thank you...it took for ever..lol

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome.. :hug: ...but hey ...you got it done..... :thumbup:

17. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yep, I still have 3 posters and photography left (plus all the animals). My posters are on Heartworms, ear mites in rabbits, and wildlife in Indiana....

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Interesting posters.... you have to do there..... :wink: :greengrin:

19. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yep, the research is helping to keep my mind off of other things that are going on right now (the dog),and it is actually pretty surprising some off the stuff you learn!

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You go girl............ :thumbup: :hug: