Why do you have goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Nov 17, 2007.

1. I consider mine only meat animals and NOT pets.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I consider mine only dairy animals and NOT pets.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mine are pets and dairy, but NOT meat.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mine are pets but I also use the meat.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mine are dairy and pets, and I also use the meat.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I use the meat and the milk, but they are NOT pets.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. They are fiber animals only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. They are fiber animals, but and/or meat, milk, pets.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. They are only pets and nothing else.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Why do you have goats?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Mine are show/pet/milkers, I didn't see one of those up there.... oh yeah and they are NOT meat =)

3. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Spoiled PETS! LOL. I'd never eat any of my animals... that's just me... but yeah, their job is to eat, look cute, and love me. Oh, and I'm training Melino to be a cart goat too.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We use our mainly for milk and meat, our goats are pets to US but I rarely sell goats as pets to other people. I've had several cases where they went to bad homes so I'd rather eat them myself than see my babies go to a bad home. :( I just couldn't stand to see them suffer.

5. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Mine are mainly pets, but as soon as some of them freshen (first freshners) I will be learning the art of milking :wink: So THEN they will be pets and also our milk supply. I could never butcher any of my babies though, I get to attached. So no meat here ... just pets and milk :D

I think that perhaps I COULD handle having one butchered - IF I knew when I bought it that meat was it's end result and only purpose - cause then I would TRY to refrain from making it my baby, and try to keep in mind that I would be eating it. But that's probably the only way that I could handle butchering any. If even then.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The only way I can eat our goats Julie is if we have somebody else butcher it, I couldn't bare killing one of my own babies :( Goat meat tastes really good though :D

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    like chelsey mine are for show/milk/breeding & pets. i could not eat one of mine but i have had goats meat & it was good. i give alot of credit to those who can raise them for meat. i know it has to be hard.

8. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    My pygmys are pets.

My nubians are show goats, their wethers will be sold for meat, and we also use the milk. :D

9. sunshineandtulip

sunshineandtulip New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    Our goats are Milk, meat and Pets! The ones we use for meat are treated good and not mistreated but we know from the beginning that is what they are for so we dont get to attached. They are all loved bunches.

10. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Ours are spoiled rotten Pets like Pace's goat. My son is also training one of the wethers to pull a cart. Hopefully in 2008 we will breed his spotted nubian and might even try to milk her. Time will let us know what direction our goats will take us. Also my son uses two of them in 4-H. I just have them to love and nothing else.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Started as just pets then wanted to milk them so now they are pets and dairy!! My goats are my kids and they get treated as I would treat a child...reprimanded when needed and loved just about the same.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Mine are show/pet/dairy/meat. We raise the does and a very select number of boys for showing pet and milk. MOst of the little boys are sent tp [ack homes or for dinner. But i don;t eat my own goats.
    beth

13. dry_gulch

dry_gulch New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Bridgeport, Texas
    I would like my little girls to be dairy providers, but my dh won't build me a milking stand, and now I don't have a buck. Maybe in 2008... I can't eat them, but my husband culled the mean ones and loved it. I was getting nauseous when he was eating them.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We have thefor 4H and for the fiber. I am learning ot spin, and to make hats.

15. BethW

BethW New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Central VA
    Pace said it all. Mine are spoiled rotten pets and they are there for me to love on and be as cute as they can possibly be. It's a perfectly respectable job, IMO. :D

16. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    Mine are for dairy and they think they are pets. I sell the doe kids as dairy girls, the bucks for breeding and the wethers for meat.(and some as pets)
    I've never eaten my goaties but I may butcher wethers some time.

17. debpnigerians

debpnigerians New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    north central Texas
    I'm planning to start milking this year but so far my Nigerians have been for show and pets. I've eaten cabrito and enjoyed it, but NO WAY am I or anyone else eating my babies!!!!!

18. eliya

eliya New Member

Mine are very dairy pets :) I also love the excitement of breeding them. We will occasionally have a wether butchered, but haven't done that in years.

19. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have added a Kiko cross and 2 boer crosses to my small herd and I do plan to sell some wethers for meat this coming year. I will only do that if they aren't sold as pets. I couldn't handle the thought last year but as I thought more on it, I think it would be okay since I was overwhelmed with bucks this past year...it was my fault though.