The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is it possible she could be pregnant? I know she wasn't bred, but is there a buck nearby?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Some heavy milking lines produce milk without ever being bred, or they never really dry up.

·
Registered
600 Posts
She looks to be in full milk o_O Either the doe was bred unknowingly, or she was bred and the owner didn't tell you for some reason. Have you tried to milk her? I think you should get her a blood test to see if she's pregnant.

EDIT: Danielle really?? Wow O.O I don't know if that's cool or weird...so some dairy goats just...go into milk?

·
2,203 Posts
No chance of being bred, no males. Should she milk her to get that out?
If you want milk, go ahead and milk. If you don't, you can leave it be, or milk out completely and use dry cow infusion like ToMorrow.

·
Registered
718 Posts
A coworker of mine has a goat that went into milk without being bred. Her neighbor is a respected vet around here (one of the only that seems to know goats too) and he told her that the goat had a false pregnancy - that sometimes they do that. Just convince themselves they are pregnant. They have no buck, and she delivered no kids... but has been in milk for a couple months now. I dont know what breed she is. But I wonder if that might be the case with this goat?

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
EDIT: Danielle really?? Wow O.O I don't know if that's cool or weird...so some dairy goats just...go into milk?
Yup!:) I have one such doe, she's currently producing a bit under 2 gallons a day as a FF-I had to move her into the milking hers when she was 5 months or so, her udder was giving so much.:eek:

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
So has always had these large udders or just now..? A precocious udder is not unusal for a yearling or younger...but for a 6-8 year old to suddenly get one?? I would take her temp to see how that is, milk a tiny bit of whats in there to get a look at what it is..I would not however go to milking fully....go slow to be sure there is nothing else going on...the good news is that they are even..or seem to be from what I see..if you could get a rear pic that would be great but they seem to be a normal fill udder...but as I said..I would take it slow...make sure all else is fine before planning ot make cheese:D

·
kidstokids
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try to get a rear picture, and see if we can milk her. She has never been milked by my friend so we are not sure what she will do.

·
kidstokids
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She is 8 years old, maybe older. She has had kids before . She has looked like that for two years. They milked her awhile back and it looked like milk.
This is the new info. My friend just gave me.
What I don't get is the vet looked at her and knew nothing. Granted it was a horse vet. Is it hard to find a vet that knows goats?

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Im sorry the was unable to help..ugh....dog vet, horse vet, or goat goat..they should know what they are looking at...my vet is a large animal vet..his associate is a small animal vet..but both know enough about goats to help me when Im stuck..its knowledge they learn in school but some dont continue the education....when my vet is stumped...he looks thngs up..calls around..gets me answers...a willing vet is a good vet regardless of where their expertise sits...But at least wehave this sight and all this experiance to help us when we really need it...Im thankful for that..

On the udder..( now that Im done griping...sorry :eek:)
If she was bred and milked before...then she may be a long lactator...which is nice if you need milk and no babies lol...when the milk sits in the udder too long it will be yucky..if there's no heat, no pain, udder looks good...then I would milk her out..if the milk is off color....toss it. see if she fills up again..if so then you have a milk goat that that wont quite lol....if not then at least she has releif from a full udder..I would keep watch for fever lumps, masses pain when milking...best wishes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts