The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3-4 yr old nanny that was with a buck from June 26 to July 31. She is in a barn stall with my 2 other does since Nov 25th. The last 2 days she has been crying all the time. Quits for about an hour or two and then starts back up.

I am beginning to doubt she is even pregnant.

She has plenty of hay and water. I have her on camera and watch her wander around and cry. When I (physically) look in at her she comes over and stops crying.

I am thinking if the crying gets real loud and doesn't quit then maybe she is in labor? Most of the time it is a soft/medium cry.

I am fairly new at all this.

Judy in Indiana

· Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
What breed is she? Nubians cry A LOT for no reason. They are just loud. So if she's a Nubian, that's just what they do.

· Registered
640 Posts
My FF pygmy/ nigerian cross screamed for 12 hours before she had her little guy. Nothing could console her, but it was obvious to me she was going to have him that day. Her bag was huge overnight and her teats were filling with milk.

· Administrator
96,111 Posts
Does she have an udder going on? According to your breeding schedule, she should be kidding soon. Does she look sloppy in the vulva, her tailhead dropped, any discharge or ligs gone or softening? then, she is going to kid soon.

If not, she may be in heat too.

Does she have a buddy?

· Registered
134 Posts
I also have a nubian. I understand your concern when I first got my goat fluffy she would cry all the time only when I went out to be with her would she stop crying. But after a little while she understood when I said goodnight she wouldn't see me till morning. When I said see you later that ment I'll be back for feeding time last I would say I'll be right back ment that when I went inside I'd come out. Now she doesn't cry. Only when I'm outside and haven't let her out or played with her. Even with the other goats she would rather be with me.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
My Nubians only yell when they see me and want food. The only one that cries a lot is my friend's doeling I just picked up who was bottle fed and is super needy. No bottle babies for me! If she just started crying like this and wasn't before I'd think something is bothering her.

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Agreed....my nubians cry when they want food.I don't plan on keeping any bottle babies....I just don't have that kind of time to commit,sadly.I did have a couple of bottle babies until butcher size...very needy, and too much being jumped on for me.It didn't seem so bad when they were little.....:/

· Registered
717 Posts
My ND doe had one heat that I thought one of us may not live through! She decided it was necessary to start SCREAMING from midnight till 3am. Mind you, I do not have a nice big farm. I live on a residential street in a suburban area. My neighbors love my little farmstead... but I thought for sure they'd run me out of town for that one! :-o I bred her at her next heat... wasn't taking any chances! So far, we've not had another heat like that one - knock on wood.

But if she was in with a buck... kidding could be the reason too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.