The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure if I should be concerned about this or not so please give me your thoughts.

I have a total of 3 Nigerian dwarf goats, all does. One, 3 year old and she’s possibly pregnant, a 1 year old not pregnant and a 14 week old, two weeks ago I noticed that poppy my 1 year old would mount, Berlin the 14 week old, every once in awhile, so I thought one of them is just in heat, but poppy keeps mounting her, acting very buck like, making buck sounds and flopping her tongue around, she’s been doing this for two weeks and it seems to be getting worse every time I go out to the barn poppy is chasing Berlin around trying to mount her, and poppy weighs a good 70 pounds and Berlin only weighs 25 so poppy basically squishes her, and I’m afraid one of these time poppy is going to hurt her since she’s so much bigger, what do you think is going on? Can they be in heat that long, or are poppys hormones really out of wack that she thinks she’s a buck, that sounds really funny now that I type it out, or is it a act of dominance?
I’m not sure what to think, poppy never try’s to mount my other goat that is possibly pregnant.
And I’ve never seen a doe act so buck like.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty common actually. It's just dominance. It happens more among bottle babies but, I have seen this behavior in the main herd occasionally.

It has nothing to do with heat, it's puberty driving this one.
Okay thanks, I was hoping it was normal and not something like her hormones were so out of wack that she thought she was a buck because my one friend had a goat that had that problem and they had to give her some sort of medicine to get her back to normal

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just make sure the little one has places to hide if she needs to.
She has figured out how to jump up into the chicken nesting boxes that we cleaned out a few years ago , so whenever they chase and buck her she just jumps up into one and takes a nap, it looks so adorable

1 - 14 of 14 Posts