The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....registered nigerians that area all black? (or limited to only white frosting)

I love black goats but cant seem to find any on a website (not that I am looking for another goat) either forsale or as a sr. doe.

Are they hard to come by? With everyone wanting color have they almost bred them out to extinction?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Black goats are harder to sell normally. If I have black babies coming I pray they have some white on them as that makes them more appealing. I like black too but I do like it when they have white on them too.

Breeders who breed for quality don't stop just because they maybe black kids, but a lot of breeders are more interested in colors and flashiness so it can be hard to find black. I don't ever set out to find one specific color though. If the right goat has the right genetics and just happens to be black then that's fine by me.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I have several. Azriel, Joy and I had one born here - Cameron. Janna is black too but she is sold.

People do tend to avoid them when possible. But I think they are so elegant.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to get a black registered goat - of course with good conformation and all. That is when I do decide next year if I am going to add to the herd. It has to be all black to fit what I want - not white spots on sides

I would also like a fawn color too.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Black is a bit common. I mean even if you do try to avoid it you still wind up with it. Nearly all of my goats carry black and then I do have some who are black.

Cruiser, Ace (sold pending pick-up), Barbie, Gwen and Mirage are black. Blessing, Civil, Bushfire (techincally is black only with dominant chocolate), Contredanse, Potsie, Anna, Minuet, Fuchsia, Hera, Larkspur and Redcard all carry black. So I'm bound to get some black kids.

Rue is double chamoise so I got 15 out of 17 kids from him cham this year. The two who weren't were dominant gold. :p Cruiser even bred to a chamoise and a buckskin still gave me all 4 black kids. Fuchsia was either bred by Rue or Zeus and gave me a black kid. Contredanse gave me a black buck.

I didn't get but 1 solid black kid this year and that was Gwen and she was retained. She does have a few random moonspots but on a whole you don't really notice them much. She has lightly frosted ears. Blessing's 3 all have lots of random white. Gwen was a bottle baby so she has a special place in my heart which Blessing's 3 can't compete with of course. So naturally Gwen is just stunning in my eyes. :D

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I have tons of black carriers, and lots of black with other colors, Kitty, Lucy, Blue, CowGirl, Faline and kids that were born here. So we will definatly get some black babies lol.

I hope you find what you want next year!!

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I like black too Stacey, and there is a doe due in my area that looks alot like my Binky.....I may or may not get a doeling from her :shrug: ....Of course with Binky being black and her twin sister being black...who know's what I'll get from her next spring...though her doeling sired by my pygmy that was born in January was SOLID Black....a few white hairs in an "armpit" was all she had...and UNREGISTERABLE :hair:

I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I come across any close to you :wink:

·
Registered
326 Posts
It is not too terribly hard to find, although they usually have frosting or white, which makes them easier to sell, as everyone said. NC Promisedland has a great looking jr. doe who is all black.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Solid black goats can be harder to sell. I have quite a few black does. Most of them have some markings. I like color. Most of my buyers want color. I like the black, but I think they are most striking when there is white mixed in. I also like the gold trim with frosted ears and nose, or even with solid ears. I just like all the variety in color!

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's odd to hear, because the goat farm I was working at told me people love buying their black nubians.. Apparently they have no problem selling them.. Is it just a problem with th mini breeds maybe?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I think color specific can be breed specific. I've seen a lot of Nubians black with tan trimming. Those seem to fly off the handle.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have only had two all black goats here, one mini oberhasli doe a few years back and an all black LaMancha buckling last year(I sold him though). I like them because they are unique in that it seems like I rarely have an all black goat born here-this year I had mostly creme/white kids born. And my does will be bred to creme colored bucks again this year. I'd like to find a chamoisee colored LaMancha to add to my herd-but I think those are rare in the LaMancha breed.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
We only had one black Nigerian doe but she had some white on her sides, head, and frosted ears & muzzle. Around our area, black Nigerians are harder to find. I like them though. If the goat has correct conformation, awesome genetics, & great mammary/lines, it could be green for all I care! :D

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I find the solid black goats very striking. I have a black nigi buck with bright blue eyes. His eyes creep some people out, but I think he's gorgeous! I also have a black nigi with a little white here and there, not much, but she doesnn't have frosted ears or nose. I think she's just gorgeous. But yeah, the black goats do seem harder to find. I think a lot color mainly attracts people to the goat.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I know how you feel. I want a black oberhasli soooooooo bad but I've never been able to find one around here because everybody discriminates against them in the showring. :(

We have 4 black LaMancha does, although two are dark chocolate and another has a white spot on the top of her head. Around here, black and tan and sundgau(sp?) seem to be the most dominant colors.

I'm a sucker for black goats, and solid colored goats like my Ruby(I swore she would be a buck when she was born)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts