The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ND buck who is just not getting his 2 girlfriends pregnant! We keep him with another ND doe and Lamancha. I know Lamancha's usually go into heat in the fall, but Bonnie, the Nigerian, has had a baby before in January. We are keeping Bonnie away from Clyde (the buck) for a little bit, thinking she's maybe bored of him. I want her to get pregnant, and I need one of them to get pregnant so I can get more milk, since I have waited too long for someone to get bred. What can I do to get them to go into heat and/or be bred? Are there symptoms that they are pregnant, and I just didn't see the breeding or know she was in heat? Answers plz guys! Tx!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
Alfalfa is an estrogen based feed. Good for does, but it has the ability to make bucks not interested in breeding. Is it hot where you live? If so, he may only breed at night. Are your does flagging him? Are they in heat? How is the bucks famacha score, his temp, and has he had a fecal? Whats his worm count?

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,660 Posts
It sounds like to me you need to separate the buck 100% from the girls. When you reintroduce him in a couple months to them he should bring them into heat, if its hot where you live he most likely won't be interested in breeding till fall.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,660 Posts
Or they already may be bred. Can you get pics of the doe(s) back ends? And their udders? If they look bred, and he is with them full time, it can be hard to tell if they are pregnant.

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
They could be bred already, only takes a split second to do the deed.
As mentioned, if it is hot they may do it when it cools down.

You can have them pregnancy tested.
How long have they been with the bucks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts