The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the exact same recipe for Chevre I've used before, but the last two time my cheese has not curdled and it all ends up going to the pigs. That leaves two happy pigs and a very frustrated me.

5 qts raw milk. Heat to 80 degrees.
1/2 cup buttermilk and 2 tbsp. diluted rennet
Set aside to curdle...

That's as far as I've gotten this last two times. Grrrrrr....:whatgoat::whatgoat::whatgoat:

The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's my buttermilk? I freeze it in ice cube trays so I don't waste a whole quart of it. Though it worked before, did it loose it's "oomph"?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hmm. Do you always use chlorine-free water to dilute the rennet? Do you wait to dilute the rennet until just before using? If you do it too much in advance it will lose potency. If none of those things could be it, I would try a small batch with different buttermilk to see if that is the problem, but it should still set a bit with the rennet, even if the buttermilk isn't working.

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, yep, and yep...

There is a little action that happens, but not much. Last time when I emptied the pot for the pigs there was some curdled milk at the bottom of the pan, but very little...

I'll have to try new buttermilk I guess... at least the pigs are happy.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Oh, thought of one more possibility. Have you tested the calibration on your thermometer in some ice water? Sometimes they can go off and the milk might have not been in the right temp range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts